2 blade vs. 3 blade prop for my 1988 C30

Nov 9, 2022
Catalina 30 Cayuga Lake, Ithaca, NY
I purchased my Catalina 30 in October. Next May I plan to motor it from a marina in Vermont on Lake Champlain to my slip in Ithaca NY on Cayuga Lake. The 2 blade prop has some minor damage which I might have repaired and keep it as a spare. The trek will be over 300 miles and my dilemma is I have two very experienced sailing friends advising me. One owned a Catalina 320 with a 2 blade and said "save your money, the 2 blade will be just fine. My other friend said with all the locks I will be going through, the control a 3 blade will give me will be well worth the cost and strongly recommends it. I've read the 3 will slow the sailing speed a bit but I do not plan on racing. Any advice you can send my way will be much appreciated. Jack

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Many consider choosing a blade is as important and complex as choosing a sail for their boat. You are not deciding just for your single trip, but for how you want to use the boat over the period you intend to own it.

Many sailors find the two blade gives them the best combination of auxiliary power minimum drag. This is true when the prop blade design, pitch, size and condition all work together for the specific boat. The prop is an extension of shaft, transmission and engine. All of which play their part in your auxiliary system. Speak with a reputable prop shop. Take them the existing “minor damaged” prop along with the distance from the boat bottom to the shaft, the shaft diameter, the transmission gear ratio, the engine specifications (make, model, serial #, and RPM range) and ask them.

There is validity in what both your friends have advised.
  • Two blades are often fine providing adequate power to move the boat and minimal drag during sailing
  • The new owner can spend lots of money on their new boat without even thinking.
  • Three blades can provide more thrust per rotation which could be interpreted by some as control. The compromise of three blades is increased drag when sailing.
Good luck. With the proper prop and careful planning concerning the conditions of your route and the currents you will encounter your adventure should be a fun experience.

Jan 7, 2011
Oday 322 East Chicago, IN
Consider a folding or feathering prop for long term sailing, that can provide the drive power of a 3 blade, without sacrificing speed under sail.

I have a 2-blade fixed prop on my O’Day 322 and it has served me well for about 9 years.

But I just got a 3-blade MaxProp that I hope will give me more power and less vibration when motoring, very good reverse thrust, and a bit more speed when sailing in light air.

I also looked hard at the FlexoFold 3-blade, but I liked the idea of being able to adjust the pitch to really match it to the 30-year old Yanmar in my boat.

i did a test fit this week, and really like how the prop fits…but I haven’t sailed it yet.

These props are not cheap, but if you plan to keep the boat for a while, it might be worth consideration.

PYI delivered my MaxProp in about 10 days from my order.

Greg

dmax

Jul 29, 2018
O'Day 35 Buzzards Bay
I had a Catalina 30 with a 3-blade prop - definitely more bite than a two blade but it affected sailing speed, especially in light air. My current boat has a 2-blade prop - the only time I wish for a 3-blade is when going against strong wind/current/waves. I would stick with the 2-blade for now, it should get you home - if you decide on a 3-blade, you should look into one of these: Campbell Sailer

Nov 8, 2007
Hunter 27_75-84 Sandusky Harbor Marina, Ohio
Another endorsement for the Campbell 3 blade prop if you are going for 3. Ours shows no reduction in sailing speed versus the original 2 blade prop it replaced.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
:plus:

I too would endorse the Campbell Sailor. Built at “WestbyNorth” on Vancouver Island BC.
I removed a Michigan Wheel and put on the CS. The results were as desired. 1.5 knot improvement under auxiliary and .5 to.75 improvement sailing. Improvements are from prop design and proper application to my specific boat, engine and transmission.

The 3 bladed propeller was selected to deal with the Salish Sea big waters and currents that are my sailing region.

My Old prop
1701450039737.jpeg

My new prop
1701450383643.jpeg

Nov 9, 2022
Thank you to all who have responded. Your information/advice will be so helpful for my decision. Before I wrote my Forum request, I assumed the overall advice would be go 3 blade.
You helped me think not only of the long trek but also how I will use my boat. I plan to be a fair weather, lake sailor, non-racer. No long motor excursions, no tides, big waves, currents - maybe some occasional trolling. I'm leaning toward a new 2 blade, save some $$ and keep the repaired prop as a spare...
I'm sure there are a lot of 2 blade propelled, good size sailboats that navigate the Champlain and Erie Canal locks just fine... A 3 blade might give better controll but once this one time event is over, my sailing life should be simpler.
I will eventually post my final decision but it may be awhile though... One last thought. I have always sailed smaller boats and being newly divorced, last April bought a 1981 Catalina 22 intending to solo, live aboard. Spent April to mid July restoring her and making her my boat. I rented a half year slip and lived mid July to October on my Catalina 22. I learned two things. One, at 6' 1", sleeping in a fetal position got old quickly and Two, I was blown away how wonderful my sailing community is. I have never met such a friendly, eager to help caring group of people in my 70 year life.
Being alone, I found a new family. I now have another. My C30 Forum family!
Thank you again. Merry Christmas to all and fair winds! Jack

BVLew

Oct 20, 2018
Catalina 30 Ithaca
Coming in late, but FYI: I have a 1978 C-30 in Ithaca, Atomic 4, 2 blade folding prop, does fine for Cayuga Lake non-racing daysailing. I motor the entire length of the lake (~30 nautical miles) at beginning and end of season -- even when there's been heavy headwind I've done OK (not great, but OK).

Nov 9, 2022
Thank you BVlew! Let's connect this summer. Love to see your 30! Fair winds. Jack

Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
Having completed all of the locks on the Erie Canal (except for the one going to Seneca Lake) and having done it with a 3 bladed Max Prop, 2 bladed folding prop, and an outboard, I wouldn't worry about the locks and what prop you have. Save your money and go with the prop on the boat. If it is nicked or slightly damaged, then pull it and have a prop shop clean it up and rebalance it. Save your money for other more important things.

Many folks are concerned about entering locks, it is really no different than pulling up along side a 200 foot wharf and grabbing a line or pipe to keep the boat close to the wall. By the time you get to the Waterford Flight, you'll be an old hand. There will be a lot of traffic the first 2 weeks the locks open in May, you may want to wait until the initial rush is over. You will find the locks mostly empty and there will be plenty of free dockage along the way. Bring extra diesel, it is hard to find on the canal.

Here's a short video of my wife and I transiting 3 locks, one fairly shallow lock, the deepest lock at Little Falls, and one medium lock.

Edit: This is obviously a time lapse video and I did speed it up more. Things are much more relaxed than they might appear in the video. On this day there was a strong cold West wind which gave us a little trouble in the first lock. We made the transit around June 20, 2022.

Nov 9, 2022
Having completed all of the locks on the Erie Canal (except for the one going to Seneca Lake) and having done it with a 3 bladed Max Prop, 2 bladed folding prop, and an outboard, I wouldn't worry about the locks and what prop you have. Save your money and go with the prop on the boat. If it is nicked or slightly damaged, then pull it and have a prop shop clean it up and rebalance it. Save your money for other more important things.

Many folks are concerned about entering locks, it is really no different than pulling up along side a 200 foot wharf and grabbing a line or pipe to keep the boat close to the wall. By the time you get to the Waterford Flight, you'll be an old hand. There will be a lot of traffic the first 2 weeks the locks open in May, you may want to wait until the initial rush is over. You will find the locks mostly empty and there will be plenty of free dockage along the way. Bring extra diesel, it is hard to find on the canal.

Here's a short video of my wife and I transiting 3 locks, one fairly shallow lock, the deepest lock at Little Falls, and one medium lock.

Edit: This is obviously a time lapse video and I did speed it up more. Things are much more relaxed than they might appear in the video. On this day there was a strong cold West wind which gave us a little trouble in the first lock. We made the transit around June 20, 2022.
Thank you SO MUCH for this info and the video. Both are so helpful. The boating community is awesome and you are the best example. All the best! Jack

Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
Thank you SO MUCH for this info and the video. Both are so helpful. The boating community is awesome and you are the best example. All the best! Jack
If you haven't been there yet, go to the NYS Canal Corp's website they have a ton of information and subscribe to their Notice to Mariners.

As the departure date gets closer, feel free to ask more questions. While navigating the canal system not particularly challenging, there are many little things which will make the trip easier.