2 battery switches?

May 28, 2021
catalina Catalina34 Henderson Harbor
We just bought our 1999 Catalina 34 Avalon. Absolutely love it so far but I’ve many questions. One thing that confusing is there are two battery switches, one above the nav station and one on the end of the starboard settee bench, right behind the sink cabinet. The batteries are inside the settee, one start and two house. I haven’t yet had time to trace the wires to figure this out. So… is this normal and if so how do these two switches relate to each other?

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
Hi, and congratulations on your new boat.

May I suggest, that in addition to this fine site, you visit the C34IA website, which is boat specific for your new boat?

www.c34ia.org and our forum: Main Message Board

The boat manual has the answer to the two switch question. Can be found in the tech wiki, link on the forum at the top under manuals. Just in case you don't have one.

Dec 28, 2015
Laser, Hunter H30 Cherubini Tacoma
Everything is a guess until you trace them which shouldn’t be difficult given there gauge. That being said the switch at the panel “probably” shuts 12 volt power off to the panel and the one by the batteries shuts power off between the primary battery lead to the rest of the boat. There “may “ a exception to this and that is the battery to alternator lead.

Feb 21, 2013
Hunter 46 Point Richmond, CA
Agree with Mike!!.........you need to perform a functionality test to confirm what each switch operates and label each switch. I have 2 battery switches and they are labeled.

May 28, 2021
catalina Catalina34 Henderson Harbor
Finally had some time today to look deeper into it and turns out it’s pretty simple. One switch switches between start and house and the other between the two house batteries.