2/3rds of us will be "under the dome" this weekend. Heat Warning: What's your plan?

TomY

Alden Forum Moderator
Jun 22, 2004
Alden 38' Challenger yawl Rockport Harbor
NOAA has plastered heat warnings all over the East coast and much of the mid-west of the US. Actual temperatures in some areas will top 100F, but it's the heat index that will kill you, literally.

According to NOAA, the heat index is a combination of actual air temperature combined with humidity. The effect on us is; we sweat which also cools us down. But with a high heat index, the humidity slows that natural cooling down on the body. That can be dangerous.

Heat indexes will reach 110 in many areas, and that's in the shade, not direct sunlight. Those of us on a boat may not have much shade.

Our plan is simple: Shove off the mainland where the inland breeze will be baked into the 90's, and put several miles of 60 degree North Atlantic ocean between us for air conditioning. Have plenty of fresh water and block ice on board,...bring a bathing suit as a last ditch cool down plunge in the,....60 degree water.

If you're sailing in a heat warning area this weekend, what's your plan?

Sun breaks the horizon at 6 am.
Red boat hot 6 am.jpg

Jan 22, 2008
Beneteau 323 Annapolis MD
To add to TomY, the Weather Channel just now showed the temperature in Death Valley at 112, but the heat index at 111. Hhmmm... On the east side of the country, heat is not going to be 112, but heat indexes will exceed 112 ! Throw another block of ice on the Barbie :)

EDIT TO ADD : Another snippet was a car in traffic with a large generator secured to the roof. It was powering a home-type AC unit sticking in a rear door window.

Last edited:
Jan 2, 2017
O'Day & Islander 322 & 37 Scottsdale, AZ & Owls Head, ME
That’s why we live in Arizona. Can’t take that humidity anymore. We’ve had it 110 recently but with no humidity. Still hot but bearable. Today’s high will be only 103 with good wind. Going sailing.

Feb 14, 2014
Hunter 430 Waveland, MS
Heat index means nothing, if you have a breeze.
We Southern boys can always find some shade, a cold beverage and go sailing for the breeze.

I can always cool down, but keeping warm in winter, you have to be in the "dome".

Go sailing...
Jim...

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
For those of us are working in this heat this weekend, listen to your body and stay hydrated. I too will be extra careful having open heart surgery less than a year ago. See ya all

Dec 23, 2016
Catalina 27 Clinton CT
Marina has a pool !!!!

I am well stocked up with popsicles, iced tea, watermelon and of course rum for the pm

Jul 5, 2011
Oday 28 Madison, CT
Praying for a breeze, putting up the sun hood and loading in plenty of Poland Spring... But if no breeze, I will stay home I guess.

Oct 30, 2017
Catalina c 27 Lake Pueblo
was planning on putting up a new bimini and sailing but 105 on our lake has me thinking some whitewater kayaking is in order instead.

jviss

Feb 5, 2004
Tartan 3800 20 Westport, MA
Heat kills 4 times the number of us in the US compared to cold. Colds easy, wear more clothes. :)
Source for that stat? I say B.S. As someone else mentioned, no on ever died of a heart attack shoveling heat. :)

Oct 30, 2017
Catalina c 27 Lake Pueblo
that is dying from a cardiac episode not the cold.
poor cardiac health causes those deaths NOT the cold.

you need to compare heat stoke/exhaustion VS hypothermia
an agreement for dehydration might also be made...

either way hydrate and try to stay cool... then if possible try to have fun.

Jan 8, 2015
MacGregor 26S, Goman Express 30 Kerr Reservoir
My answer to dealing with the excessive heat of summer...

Moon light sail.jpg

Here on inland lakes the wind is much more consistent at night. Plus no need for sunscreen, and no stinkpots to contend with. This weekend, it might be a late start due to the moon phase, but once it rises, there will be plenty of light to sail by.

Sep 25, 2018
Catalina Capri 22 Capri EXPO 14.2 1282 Stony Point
Will be out Sunday on the Hudson River. The river is at about 80 degrees F so there should be a cooler laminar layer close to the water. Just got back from sailing the intercoastal on the west coast of Florida with higher water temperatures and 100 to 105 heat index. Was only too hot when I was docking. These are the conditions I plan on beating and reaching, no running. Need the breeze.