1x19 cable for standing rigging?

Sep 18, 2022
Macgregor 25 Cincinnati
I know that BWC sells this cable type for shroud replacement, and that's also what on the boat to start with, so I was a bit surprised to be told "you can't bend 1x19 around thimbles" by a rigging guy.

Is there something I'm missing here? Is it 316 that can't bend, but the old 304 can? My original rigging has lasted almost 40 years and the failure wasn't at a thimble, it actually survived the previous owner side-swiping a dock and mangling an adjuster plate.

capta

Jun 4, 2009
Pearson 530 Admiralty Bay, Bequia SVG
It has to do with the number of strands and their size. Obviously 7X7 strand will be lots more flexible than 1x19.
Anyway that is why they have pressed or Staylock ends on 1x19, not thimbles. I wouldn't use 304 S/S anywhere on my boat, especially externally.

Sep 18, 2022
Macgregor 25 Cincinnati
It has to do with the number of strands and their size...
I get the logic behind the advice (I'm engineer who got his start in garage door hardware), what throws me off is that 1x19 is exactly what is sold, and exactly what my Mac came with, and they are swaged over thimbles.

So, it clearly worked once... but sure enough, I just tried it with the cable I ordered and it absolutely would not go. Glad I bought a limited amount.

So... would 7x19 at the same 5/32 be sufficiently strong?

Attachments

Last edited:

Joe

Jun 1, 2004
Catalina 27 Mission Bay, San Diego
Curious why you don't use a more modern terminal.

Sep 18, 2022
Macgregor 25 Cincinnati
Curious why you don't use a more modern terminal.
Because it's bloody expensive and the old ones have worked for 40 years. lol I'd need 20 of those to replace the whole rig.

Those were actually my first choice because I didn't want to buy a swaging tool. But after a bunch of math, the tool and sleeves ended up being much cheaper and offered me a lot of freedom in future projects like lifelines.

Jan 19, 2010
Hobie 16 & Rhodes 22 Skeeter Charleston
Well you are talking about a Mac 25. Not nearly as much stress on the rig as a larger boat. There will be those who strongly disagree but...these are coastal cruisers designed for trailer sailing....I redid the standing rigging on a Cornado 23 (about the same size) and I used a thimbal (like you are considering) and I clamped each with two of these

1687981484596.png

.. and the cable ends I cleaned up with one of these...

1687981527668.png

... just to keep the wire tips from poking... I did not buy a swage tool. I smashed the "sleeve" between the horn on my vice and a sledge hammer.

Got everything I needed from tractor supply.