1st mooring , already worried & haven't tied off

Status
Not open for further replies.
J

Jeff

I've rented a mooring bouy and would like some 911 before I start loosing sleep everytime the wind blows. Ive tied off overnight with out any problems. But I'm sure there is a lot to learn about being tied off for long periods. Thank's Jeff & Sue 1974 20'named Summer we love it!

D

david lewis

Relax

I used a mooring for 10 years and no problem. If you have a retractable keel leave it in the down position. In Hurricane Bob a boat next to me with the keel up flipped over, all the others were fine. I never lost any sleep.

J

Justin - O'day Owners' Web

I hope you mean some 411 !!!

Its not time for 911 yet is it? :) Not much to using a mooring. You need to know that there is enough weight at the bottom, that the tackle is in good shape, and that the mooring pennant is not chaffed through. Then its a question of managing the water that will inevitably come aboard and making sure the bow doesn't saw through the mooring pennant. Justin - O'day Owners' Web

D

david

Morring 911

Justin makes a good point. My mooring was there for years, a mushroom and it was completely buried so only the ground tackle was visible. During hurricane Bob I went down right after the storm. The seas were very confused as I dinghied out to quinn mary. the boat next to mine was upside down with her outboard submerged. I was surprised when I got on the boat (a difficult task with the sea state) to find that the friction from the motion had actually started to melt the fibers in the mooring pennant. Luckily I had a backup and these lines were probably 3/4 to 1 inch on just a 25 foot catalina. Use chafe protection if you can install it. dave

Status
Not open for further replies.