1997 Bennetaue oceanis 400 stop switch wiring?

Nov 17, 2021
bennetae oceanis 400 morro bay ,ca
I just purchased this vessel and I do have the original owners manual with the engine wiring diagram that is helpful but I cannot find and identification on the black/blue wire coming from my wiring harness. The stop switch is wired specific to the wiring diagram from Bennateau. Am I missing something here as I would like to be able to press the stop monetary schegal switch and kill the enigmatic with out having to pull the fuel shut off cable to kill the engine. I have uploaded a couple picks to examine . I do feel that black /blue wire does go somewhere I just have no idea and dont want to guess. I do know the black/blue wire was not hooked up to the stop switch upon my inspection . Thanks in advance . Cheers Ben

Attachments

Jan 7, 2014
Beneteau 45F5 51551 Port Jefferson
I have a similar era Beneteau and that switch looks familiar. I had to take mine apart a few years ago to clean the contacts- it would not shut off. I'll take a look at mine to see how it's wired, next time I'm at the boatyard. I'll take some pictures. Hopefully this weekend

Nov 17, 2021
Thanks man. I ordered a new switch and its definitely not the switch. I just dont understand what that monetary switch actuates to kill the engine? The only way to kill that engine is the starve the fuel supply or choke the air supply . I have tried to track that black /blue wire and have had no luck . Im completely stumped . do you have the 50 hp Perkins ? does your kill switch shut your engine off? Is your ignition switch in the on or off position when you press the kill switch ? Sorry for all questions . Thanks ,Ben

Jan 7, 2014
Beneteau 45F5 51551 Port Jefferson
I do have the perkins, the switch does kill the engine when the key is in the off position. I think but not sure that if the start battery is switched to off the, stop switch will not work. I have no idea how it works - I should probably learn. I read somewhere how it works, I think it was on this forum - Hopefully someone who knows will chime in. I'll take a look.

Nov 17, 2021
Thanks so much .. I just want to have a clear understanding of the design and engineering behind the process of wiring to the helm and killing the engine bye a much of the button. Cheers

Tom J

Sep 30, 2008
Catalina 310 Quincy, MA
Thanks man. I ordered a new switch and its definitely not the switch. I just dont understand what that monetary switch actuates to kill the engine? The only way to kill that engine is the starve the fuel supply or choke the air supply . I have tried to track that black /blue wire and have had no luck . Im completely stumped . do you have the 50 hp Perkins ? does your kill switch shut your engine off? Is your ignition switch in the on or off position when you press the kill switch ? Sorry for all questions . Thanks ,Ben
A stop switch kills the engine by operating a solenoid to shut off the fuel supply, just as the stop cable does. I worked on a 100 ton boat that had stop switches on the bridge to shut off the engines, but they were notoriously unreliable. We usually had to go down to the engine room to shut off the engines.
My C310 only has the stop cable, and it works every time. Personally, I wouldn't waste the time on repairing the electric stop switch.

Nov 17, 2021
Roger that Tom ... The the cable at the helm works just fine although if it is not fully disengaged the engine will not fire on command.. Could make for a nerve racking situation ... Cheers mate !!

RitSim

Jan 29, 2018
Beneteau 411 Branford
If your boat is like mine, there are more that a few "hangiing" wires going to nowhere. I even found a relay that interrupts the ground to somewhere. Who wires a ground to a relay contact (not the coil)?