1997 420 Passage

Dec 29, 2012
Hunter 37 Jacksonville
We viewed a boat yesterday. One of the items that we'd like if we upgrade would be a fuel gauge. I didn't see a gauge on the instrument panel. Looked at it as I was leaving and frankly assumed it would have a fuel gauge but it didn't and the broker wasn't aware. I'm assuming it was just located elsewhere but didn't happen to notice.

Anyone have a quick idea of if and where it would be?

Nov 9, 2004
Hunter Passage 420 Rock Hall, MD
Chances are it is located on the electrical distibution panel as part of the level control gages for waste tanks (Wema)

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Geek Guy... I have it on good authority, if you raise the cushion on the bed in the aft cabin you will find the tank. On the top of the tank you should find a manual gauge.

per @Terry Cox

eianm

Jul 7, 2010
Hunter 42 Sydney
if you want an electric gauge at the nav station I highly recommend you contact Dave Davis at New Providence Marine- he makes a GREAT range of senders and gauge panels- on my 1991 P42 I have his Profile panel which now gives me fuel, both water tanks and the grey water tank- all at the click of a button on my profile panel! His senders are also very reliable.

Dec 29, 2012
Hunter 37 Jacksonville
So it sounds like it depends on the specific boat. Manual on tank is what we have now. Guess it's minor but it irritates me. It's hard to read and a pain to check. But it could have been with the waste tank monitor, I only glanced at it briefly.

Thanks for the info and help.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Installing a fuel gauge is a fairly easy DIY project.

First You need to buy and install a tank sender in your fuel tank. I like the WEMA design. You need to identify your tank depth and buy a unit long enough to fit in your tank.

Next step is to run wires (2) from the tank to the location of your gauge.

Next purchase is a gauge. Install the gauge by drilling a hole in the panel or location you’ve decided will work best.

The hook up. The last bit is to connect the sender wires to the gauge and the gauge to a power source. The source of power usually is one that comes on when you are running the engine. But this is dependent on your preference.

It is just about that easy. I have 2 tanks so I added a switch between two sending wires. This lets me use a single gauge. Throw the switch left I get the port tank, right the starboard tank.

Good luck and success on your next DIY boat project.

Jan 7, 2011
Oday 322 East Chicago, IN
Geek Guy... I have it on good authority, if you raise the cushion on the bed in the aft cabin you will find the tank. On the top of the tank you should find a manual gauge.

per @Terry Cox
Some manual gauges will support an electronic gauge.

My O’Day 322 has a small visual gauge on the tank. Very difficult to read.

Here is a thread with some photos...
https://forums.sailboatowners.com/index.php?threads/fuel-gauge-type.193805/page-2

And another...
https://forums.sailboatowners.com/index.php?threads/oday-322-fuel-gauge.185631/

I hooked a digital fuel gauge (need to know the correct ohms to pair the sender and the gauge) and it works.

Greg