1996 HUNTER 336 Not on her lines

Aug 17, 2010
Hake Yachts Seaward Eagle 32 Port Henry
Greetings all. I have an offer accepted on this boat and waiting on survey next week. My gf & I love this boat except for the shallow anchor locker and the fact that she's not sitting on her lines. As a matter of fact, the transom hull to deck joint is nearly underwater where she sits. I've gone through the scoop lockers and there are 3 group 27's 2 to starboard 1 to port. Other than that I can't figure where enough weight would come from to make her squat so. I can't see under the pan, but I suspect that she's got a lot of water sloshing around. The pole to starboard is a 24 mile Garmin. The pole to port is stainless dinghy motor davit slightly overbuilt imho. The shallow anchor well isn't a problem because I have 200ft of 5/8" 8 plait windlass rode that will fit nicely. However, not knowing what's making her heavy in the transom is making me worry. Has anyone else encountered a similar problem?
Thanks in advance.
Mark
96Hunter336transom.jpg

Aug 17, 2010
Thank you Don. Neither of my Seawards did that, nor did a Pearson 26. It must be a Hunter thing. Maybe I should change the boot stripe.

Sep 22, 2018
Hunter 216 Kingston
Greetings all. I have an offer accepted on this boat and waiting on survey next week. My gf & I love this boat except for the shallow anchor locker and the fact that she's not sitting on her lines. As a matter of fact, the transom hull to deck joint is nearly underwater where she sits. I've gone through the scoop lockers and there are 3 group 27's 2 to starboard 1 to port. Other than that I can't figure where enough weight would come from to make her squat so. I can't see under the pan, but I suspect that she's got a lot of water sloshing around. The pole to starboard is a 24 mile Garmin. The pole to port is stainless dinghy motor davit slightly overbuilt imho. The shallow anchor well isn't a problem because I have 200ft of 5/8" 8 plait windlass rode that will fit nicely. However, not knowing what's making her heavy in the transom is making me worry. Has anyone else encountered a similar problem?
Thanks in advance.
Mark
View attachment 189385
A few photos here.

Jan 4, 2006
Hunter 310 West Vancouver, B.C.
Pretty much in the ball park for that era :

Transom.JPG

Another oddity you will probably notice is the exhaust is a few inches underwater. Bought the boat as new in 1999 and no problems to date with approx. 2,200 operating hours.

Feb 14, 2014
Hunter 430 Waveland, MS
Some Hunters ride a bit higher, but even in high seas that aft area is water tight, all the way up to the steering pedestal.
Be sure and tighten your shore power covers too.;)
Nice handling boat, I have heard.
Jim...

Jan 7, 2011
Oday 322 East Chicago, IN
I had a Hunter 280...she sat down a little in the back...

unless we were over-canvasses and racing hard!

17580EF1-2C8B-48E2-80CE-BFB6AE7E9DBA.jpeg C774D2E0-0BFB-4411-BCC1-24046D652119.jpeg 611B8F8B-E64F-46C7-B24D-3D3D2ECECA7B.jpeg

and as someone mentioned, the exhaust exits under water a little... you cannot see your exhaust flow, but I was able to hear a different tone when I forgot to open the thru hull.

Greg

DougM

Jul 24, 2005
Beneteau 323 Manistee, MI
Ditto on my 323..
The boat sits on her lines and that puts the scoop about 3-4 inches above the water surface.
I am willing to bet that the location of the three batteries, and all of the hardware far aft is a contributing factor to the squatting appearance. Try moving some weight forward.

Jul 29, 2004
Hunter 340 Lake Lanier, GA
The 336 hull is very similar to, if not identical to our 340. I have found that the boat is pretty sensitive to whether the water, diesel and holding tanks are full or empty, since they are located in the extreme ends. Batteries in the aft cockpit lazarette is OEM normal although some owners have moved them into the cabin to better distribute the weight. And those two poles at the transom will have some effect depending on their material and construction.

Aug 17, 2010
Ed,
Thank you for the reply. I was wondering about moving the batteries. Looks like I'll be doing some digging on this forum. Thank you.
Mark

Aug 17, 2010
Ditto on my 323..
The boat sits on her lines and that puts the scoop about 3-4 inches above the water surface.
I am willing to bet that the location of the three batteries, and all of the hardware far aft is a contributing factor to the squatting appearance. Try moving some weight forward.
You're right Doug. During the survey, the surveyor requested that the 80 gal freshwater tank under the V-berth be topped off. Doing this resulted in the transom rising about 3 inches. During the survey, I also discovered that there were a total of 5 batteries in those stern lockers. Four Grp 31's & (1) grp 27! lots of weight. I'll provide a summary of the findings on the Survey & Rigger's Report after my partner & I decide whether to move on or close on this boat.

capta

Jun 4, 2009
Pearson 530 Admiralty Bay, Bequia SVG
I wouldn't put my batteries that far aft and away from their loads. Practically, any weight in the ends of a boat radically increase the motion of that boat. I'd be looking to move them as close to amidships as possible.