1996 Hunter 280 - Starter Motor Issues

May 26, 2021
Hunter 280 Vancouver
Hello All,
*First Post - Please tell me if I do anything wrong!*
First time sailboat owner here. Boat is in great shape with mostly everything functioning. Took it out on its first cruise last weekend in some easy waters to get a feel for her and to work out any kinks. Found a few small issues, with the most pressing being the unreliable starting of the motor. I want to get this sorted out ASAP as I don't want to be in a sticky situation where I need power and am unable to start.

The issue is with engaging the starter, the motor runs well. Throughout the trip it was variable on how many attempts it took to start the motor, sometimes it would engage first try, other times it took ten tries. On our final approach into our harbor on the last day it wouldn't start at all and we had to sail back and forth for a bit, troubleshooting, until we finally got it started by tapping the starter motor with a wrench.

I turn the key, loud warning beep is audible, push the "start' button. I can see and hear that current is being drawn. The beep changes pitch and the warning lights dim slightly, however the starter does not engage. With the engine compartment open I can hear a "click" near the starter/solenoid when I push the starter button. Managed to get it started using a hammer and tapping on the starter while pressing the button.

I see two options here,
  1. Starter motor is failing and needs replacement
  2. There is not enough current getting to the starter motor from the panel to engage the starter
Looking for some suggestions on how to troubleshoot the problem. I don't want to replace the starter motor only to find there isn't enough current getting to to it. I am decent with mechanical issues, this will be my first (I am sure of many) into possible electrical issues.

I appreciate any help,

Cheers!

Sep 25, 2008
Alden 50 Sarasota, Florida
A common complaint here.
Start with the simple stuff - remove, clean and reconnect all wiring in start circuit and start motor solenoid. There are a number of easy fixes if it's a simple matter of voltage crop along the circuit including installation of a relay but before resorting to drastic steps like adding or replacing components, drag out the voltmeter and contact cleaners.

Jan 7, 2011
Oday 322 East Chicago, IN
Welcome @WrangelliaGeo,

The Hunter 280 is a fun little boat. I bought one as my first sailboat and found it fun to sail, pretty simple from a systems standpoint and quite enjoyable.

I assume you have a Yanmar 2GM20F in the H280.

As Don said, you can check all of the connections between the starter and the starter button. This is a known Yanmar issue, and you can find some articles about running a new wire from the bottom to the solenoid.

But when the starter doesn’t engage, do you hear the starter spin (But not engage)? If that is the case, I would suspect the starter is the issue…you may be able to have it serviced, or get a new one (and still get the old one serviced for a spare).

If instead, you don’t get any spin on the starter, I would suspect either the button itself (I am going to replace mine soon as it works sometimes and not others, and I think it depends on how I push the button.., cheap to replace.

Or the whole wiring issue that Don mentioned…clean all connectors and see if that helps….or run a new white wire from the button to the solenoid.

I had Lazy Jacks on my H280 which helped a lot when wrangling the large main sail.

Good luck and have fun with the new boat!

Greg

Jun 1, 2016
Hunter 28.5 Lake City, MN
I wrote this post some time ago. Hopefully this will help you:

Mike

Feb 27, 2004
Hunter 335 North East, MD
As has been already stated it's probably the starter button wiring issue common with Yanmars. There are several ways to resolve- I chose running a new, heavier gauge wire from the starter back to the engine panel. Fortunately, the run is direct and easy on my boat, and it took me about 30 minutes tops. My DIY skill level is very low so you should have no problem if this the route you take.

May 26, 2021
Hunter 280 Vancouver
A big thank you to all the great advice from everybody! @Don S/V ILLusion, @Tally Ho @SirMichael @nveater

Sami is starting with no issues now, it was as simple as taking the circuit apart and cleaning all the contacts. I have a nice 5 day weekend to celebrate Canada Day, will take her out around Howe Sound and potentially across to the Gulf Islands . Now to change the steaming light and replace the bilge pump!

Jan 1, 2006
Slickcraft 26 Sailfish
Put enough heavier gage wire on board to run from the starter switch to the solenoid in case you have a problem on your trip. You can then easily get yourself out of a jam.

Mar 6, 2008
Catalina 1999 C36 MKII #1787 Coyote Point Marina, CA.
Since you mentioned lights dimming, I would guess that your battery is not meeting the required current demand. If you continue to have problems replace the start battery.

Sep 24, 2011
Hunter 326 Maderia Beach
I had a similar issue on my H326 with a Yanmar 2GM20. I cleaned all the contacts, but no luck. I was given the advice several times to change the wiring to a thicker gauge, but decided to replace the starter since it appeared to be old. Now she starts up on the first crank each time, and I had to original starter refurbished. Now I have an extra just in case.