1995 Hunter Vision 36 Holding Tank

May 28, 2013
Hunter 36 Kemah
Help. Somehow my holding tank and/or hoses are leaking into my bilge.
After trying to flush tank through pumpout fitting, liquid entered the bilge.
How do I access the tank and replace the tank or the hose fittings?
I know the tank is by the main battery/shorepower area. Can the tank be removed
and hoses replaced from there?

Rick D

Jun 14, 2008
Hunter Legend 40.5 Shoreline Marina Long Beach CA
You might try a PM to Steve Dion. See the owners tab. (He is in Nevada.)

Nov 6, 2006
Hunter 34 Mandeville Louisiana
Here is the owner's manual.. scroll down a ways to the V-36 waste system.. it'll have drawings of locations.. does not tell ya how to get in there, but Steve should be able to help..
https://sbo.sailboatowners.com/downloads/Hunter_Vision-36_89046273.pdf
EDIT: probably not the tank.. more likely a macerator pump that has disassembled itself or a bad hose connection.. Looks like that stuff lives behind the aft berth bulkhead..

Dec 2, 1997
- - LIttle Rock
Is the tank plastic or metal (likely aluminum if it is). The tanks in 80s Hunters were aluminum...they switched to plastic in the early 90s, so it should be plastic in a '95 boat. But you never know what at PO may have done, so worth asking.
However, we can't rule out a leaking tank even if the tank is plastic...'cuz an over-tighened fitting could have cracked the female threaded "collar" or enough pressure from a blocked tank vent could have put a crack in the tank.

Pump out and thoroughly rinse out the tank and plumbing...then flush red food coloring into the tank...start with a couple of bowlfuls to see whether there are any leaks in the toilet discharge line...then fill the tank via the deck pumpout fitting with clean water that has red food coloring in it. Run the macerator if you have one to pull the red dye into that "circuit." Unless the tank is metal and leaking from the bottom, that should tell you where all the leaks are.

I just reread yr post...if the tank is plastic, it sounds like you may have a cracked discharge fitting. If you can't pump out OR add water to the tank via the discharge, flush enough red dye through the toilet to cover that fitting completely.

Last edited:

Rick D

Jun 14, 2008
....and that is why Peggy is the HeadMistress...

Dec 2, 1999
Hunter Vision-36 Rio Vista, CA.
The tank on these models were aluminum so it is about time that they get replaced. I think they are about 24-26 gal. I just sold my boat last year but as I remember you will probably need to remove the panel aft of the aft bed. Then you will also need to remove the panel that are in the aft lockers to the starboard side of the boarding ladder.
It may be easier to get a smaller tank rather than trying to stuff a new tank into the spot.
If you need any additional advise you can send me a message fromt this site.

May 28, 2013
Hunter 36 Kemah
So the panel in the aft room should be removable? I was told by repair guy that he may have to cut a hole.....steve

Rick D

Jun 14, 2008
FWIW, my 40.5 is also a 1994 and the aluminum tank was toast in 2006; a dozen years. The aluminum tank in my 1990 Vision 32 was shot after eight years. So, you're due. Plan on it. Besides, you're not going to do all that and not replace it. Look at Ronco Plastic Tanks for something that will fit. Recommended by the HeadMistress. You can probably order it right through this site. BTW, the OEM aluminum tank manufacturer is still around and will fabricate a new tank with heavier gauge stock and improved coating, but you will want to go plastic anyway.

May 28, 2013
Hunter 36 Kemah
Tank is Aluminum. 25 gal. Ezell brand. I will continue to remove ply boards/batteries tomorrow for access. Are any fittings on bottom of tank?

Dec 2, 1997
- - LIttle Rock
Tank is Aluminum. 25 gal. Ezell brand. I will continue to remove ply boards/batteries tomorrow for access. Are any fittings on bottom of tank?
At the bottom, but not ON the bottom. However, it's highly likely that urine has turned the bottom of your tank into a colander...anything in it--along with rusted pieces of the tank-- will end up outside the tank when you lift it, if it hasn't already. So be prepared with a shop vac once you've gained access...we'll deal with the cleanup after you've gotten the tank out. My book (see link in my signature) includes detailed instructions and I'm available to help too.

You'll need a new tank obviously...Ronco Plastics Ronco Plastics marine Tanks (no relation to the VegoMatic Ronco) is your best source. They make TOP quality thick-walled water and waste tanks for a very reasonable price and has more than 400 shapes and sizes, over 100 of which are non-rectangular (which means you might be able to fit a larger one in the same space), and they install fittings in the sizes and locations specified by the customer when they make the tank.

Duraweld DURAWELD made (may still make) tanks for Hunter when they switched to plastic and may have an identical replacement. However, their standard wall thickness is only 1/4" whereas Ronco's is 3/8"--strong enough support the weight of the contents without support. Duraweld will build a 3/8" tank, but for a LOT more $$ than a Ronco tank will cost you.

Peggie
"If you can't explain it to a six year old, you don't completely understand it yourself." --Albert Einstein

May 28, 2013
Hunter 36 Kemah
Hmmmm. The tank vent line, at the tank, was fully clogged with calcium buildup. There is also a small hole on top of tank closed in by calcium. So the bottom, when I can figure out how to get to inboard tank mount screws, will probably have holes. The black hose from exterior pump out connection does connect near top of the tank. So inside the tank there must be a pipe that extends to the bottom of the tank. Peggy, does it matter to you if I get your book on Amazon? Or do you come out better if I get from elsewhere?

Dec 2, 1997
- - LIttle Rock
My publisher pays me the same royalty amount no matter where you buy it, but you help support sbo.com if you buy it here unless you want the kindle version. Amazon is the only source for kindle.

nfg2u

Feb 13, 2016
Hunter Legend 35.5 Fort Pierce
I replaced my holding tank in my 90 35.5. I called Ronco directly, they gave me a great price and were super nice to deal with. You pick the size and shape you need and tell them what size fittings you will need and where they need to go. Read Peggie's Book!! Saved me time and frustration! Here are some photos.

Attachments

Dec 2, 1999
Hunter Vision-36 Rio Vista, CA.
No I do not know about a replacement tank. I think there is a angle on the starboard side of the tank that makes getting a 25-26 gal tank from off the shelf a little more difficult. If you reduce the size by a few gal. then you can probably get a tank from Ronco.

Good luck. I would like to know how everything turns out.

BCGR

Sep 16, 2017
Hunter 35.5 Holland, MI
nfg2u - Thank you for the photos - they have been very helpful. Do you have any photos of the repaired aft berth wall/bulkhead and details of how you repaired it or added an access door?