1994 33.5 Recessed Hood Furling system rubbing

Jun 21, 2004
Beneteau 343 Slidell, LA
Been many, many years since I worked on that furler on my 33.5; however, it appears that the black plastic "stopper" bushing has slipped down and is preventing the drum from rotating concentrically within the deck cut-out. Try repositioning the bushing by raising it into the furling drum tube and tighten. Yes, you can adjust the height of the drum, to a limited degree, by adjusting the height of the bushing. The top of the furling drum should be about flush with the deck. I really don't see the need for cutting the foil or recutting the sail. It worked before, so it should continue to work once the before mentioned adjustments are made. Be sure to adjust the halyard as recommended by @jssailem; not too tight / not to loose. Don't want to see any wrinkles or crows feet in the sail fabric at the luff.

gotons

May 11, 2022
Hunter 33.5 Gilbertsville, KY
Been many, many years since I worked on that furler on my 33.5; however, it appears that the black plastic "stopper" bushing has slipped down and is preventing the drum from rotating concentrically within the deck cut-out. Try repositioning the bushing by raising it into the furling drum tube and tighten. Yes, you can adjust the height of the drum, to a limited degree, by adjusting the height of the bushing. The top of the furling drum should be about flush with the deck. I really don't see the need for cutting the foil or recutting the sail. It worked before, so it should continue to work once the before mentioned adjustments are made. Be sure to adjust the halyard as recommended by @jssailem; not too tight / not to loose. Don't want to see any wrinkles or crows feet in the sail fabric at the luff.
It usually sits down on top of it so the top of the furling drum is flush-ish with the deck. I’m formulating my plans on raising this thing out as the sail manufacturer is waiting on the height adjustment. I’ve had so many issues with this, I’ve almost pulled the trigger on a new furling system with long link plates to raise it out of the recess.

sorry I wasn’t super clear with what I was showing. I have enough room on the foil to raise the furler up this high once it’s disconnected. My plan was to raise the bushing up to where the drum would slide down on top of it as the point I have the drum in the picture.

Last edited:

gotons

May 11, 2022
Hunter 33.5 Gilbertsville, KY
Final update to this saga (unless you all want the details, hilarity of my mission of installing a new furling system).

I decided to replace the recessed hood furling system with the Harken MKIV Unit 1 system with some link plates to raise it out of the recess. This past weekend, since I was going at it solo, I decided to see if it was possible to remove the old furler and foils without having to completely detach the forestay from the mast. My intention was to unhook the lower unit and slide the foils down. I quickly realized my mistake because I could not get the internal foil connection pieces over the turnbuckle stud. The foils are also all riveted as well. I was able to hacksaw off the rivets by prying them away from the foils with the exception of one.

Naturally, with any boat project, Murphy's law took over.

I slowly drilled out the final rivet, only to nick the forestay with the drill bit...so now I'm replacing the forestay.

I'm assuming riggingonly.com is the place to go to order myself? We don't have anywhere locally to order from.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
:facepalm:Lucky you. A boat project is not worth doing unless you can enjoy project creep doubling or tripling the time cost and enjoyment. :biggrin: