1992 Hunter 33.5 DC Shore Power and DC Panel replacment

calvin

Jul 30, 2019
Hunter 335 Port Orchard
One of my last projects this winter was to install a shore power connector and a new DC panel with dual on switch. Figured I'd share my experience for anyone else who is considering doing the same. I ended up getting a common bus for the house battery and a common negative bus for everything installed in the process. I went with a Blue Sea Systems 8686 battery management panel with a dual on switch and a smart power connector for shore power. First step was to gut the battery compartment. I found a lot more rot than expected in the wood and had to fabricate new mounting panels and hardware. I didn’t anticipate this so ended up having to build the new panels on short notice. They're not waterproofed as well as I would like and I'll likely go in and replace them with something more durable later. Once the new panels were made, everything fit rather well. The dual on panel is actually smaller than the factory original so there is more clearance behind the panel. I mounted the winch breaker and shore power breakers next to it. The new bus bars went on the stern well along with the charging relay and breakers. Took most of a weekend but am happy with the outcome. Learned a lot and have amore robust shore power and charging system now.

Attachments