1992 Beneteau Oceanis 370

May 5, 2017
Catalina C36 mkII PA
I'm considering a purchase of this nice boat. It is fitted with a Volvo diesel. Owner says that there is some problems with the motor. Couldn't explain what is the issue, but hopefully can get more info later in the week. As a mechanic I'm not afraid to pull wrenches and get dirty. I have worked on a Universal/Cubota diesel engines before. My question to the members of this forum is if this Volvo engine has a twin brother like Universal which was a Cubota engine from a farm small tractor. That meant a great source for cheap parts. Thanks for any info on this Volvo diesel.

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
It would be helpful to know what specific Volvo engine it is. The general reputation is that Volvo parts are horribly expensive with few alternate sources.
I suggest going to www.cruisersforum.com and doing a search on Volvo. There have been lots of posts there that answer your question.
And it's Kubota.
Good luck.

Gunni

Mar 16, 2010
Beneteau 411 Oceanis Annapolis
If I was looking at a Volvo marine diesel that "had problems" undefined. I would approach a purchase with repowering in mind. If you can patch up the Volvo, fine, but assume it needs to be replaced and price the boat accordingly. Volvo is an industrial engine manufacturer and exclusive source for their marine diesel.

Mar 20, 2016
Beneteau 351 WYC Whitby
Quite a few volvo models are actually Perkins engines and the parts are 1/4 of the price depends on model ,to buy from Perkins /Catarpillar or sites like parts4engines.com.If you go to that site all Volvo engines listed are perkins

May 5, 2017
Catalina C36 mkII PA
That is a positive info. I am having a hard time to get info about the engine from the owner of this boat as he is mechanically illiterate. All I found out about the engine is, that it is still the original. Maybe owners of this model enlighten me and tell me what was the model of engine installed on this boat. And if there is a twin brother to this engine in a Perkins/Caterpillar product line.

May 5, 2017
Catalina C36 mkII PA
I just received some pics from the owner. Hull plate and engine picture.
Hull_Plate.jpg
Engine_1.jpg

johey

Jan 2, 2007
Beneteau 390 Baltimore
Looks a lot like the 2003T that I have on my Oceanis 390 (also labeled 27hp) with a retrofit raw water pump (the silver looking part bottom right) and a retrofit piping of the raw water. The heat exchanger and oil cooler for those engines are almost not available and very expensive (eg $1500) when you can find them at all. I had my oil cooler retrofitted in a similar fashion. The engine itself seems very reliable to me but some parts can be hard to get or expensive (like the heat exchanger). The fact that oil filter/fuel filter/raw water impeller/ alternator are all accessible in the front is a plus. It's also a free flow return meaning that you can get away with not bleeding it if it runs out of fuel, and the decompression lever are also plusses to me.I just had mine rebuilt after 7000+ hours on it because I got water into the cylinders (long story). It's pretty easy to work on for the most part. Starter/altenator, V belt, impeller, etc, are all easy to get and inexpensive

Apr 2, 2019
Beneteau Oceanis 370 Fremantle
I think most of the Oceanis 370 are the V-P 2003 27HP, not the 2003T which is turbo. Mine is 2003, and is running well, generally parts are expensive. Regular failure is the raw water pump, which is manufactured by Johnson, and can be bought from them, or rebuilt with a kit.