1990 Hunter Legend 35.5 Moellar Fuel Tank

Aug 26, 2019
MacGregor 22 Belews Lake
I have a 1990 Legend 35.5 .The fuel pickup has become clogged. I would like to replace it. I think it is a Moeller plastic tank. I have been looking at pick up tubes, some screw in and some push in with O rings. Does anyone here with the same model or year know how this tube is installed? I am hoping it pops out. I have even thought about capping it and putting a new one in as It's really hard to reach. Advice and opinions are appreciated.

Jan 19, 2010
Hobie 16 & Rhodes 22 Skeeter Charleston
I don't know your tank but I do have experience with the concept of tapping a new port... on an oil pan on an old Ford Ranger. It worked! So that is definitly an option. The only issue I see is how to cap the old port. If you can find a proper sized bung, that would be the best option. Glues and epoxy might not stick well to the plastic tank so you may need to experiment a little if you go that route.

jssailem

SBO Weather and Forecasting Forum Jim & John
Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Not all of the 1990 Hunter Legend owners are here on the site. Since fuel tanks have a universal appeal to boat owners, you might appeal with your question in a more generic method. Perhaps a photo of your tank and the pickup tube in question would generate a response regarding the specifics you desire.

Sep 24, 2021
Beneteau 35s5 Telegraph hrbr Thetis Island
I know some 35.5 owners have had to enlarge the cutout in the aft berth bulkhead to access/change the fuel tank. Doing so now would ease this task and provide easier access in the future..
I kinda like these boats but tankage access and battery access is not great!

Aug 26, 2019
MacGregor 22 Belews Lake
John S/V Hadley Sailing the Pacific Northwest, Aye and thanks for the reply. As you can see it is a hard boat to work on due to the lack of access. I like Hollyberry's Beneteau 35s5 response as I can see he is correct. If the tank was replaced a cutout will have to be done. My guess is simply replacing the pickup tube would only make for more issues later not knowing the condition of the inside of the tank, that's just me RgRanger Rhodes 22 Skeeter and the owner is digging for options as the bite of the 450USD replacement option has set his course to search for options. I thankyou mates for your reply and will pass them along.

Respectfully,
Donald Griffin

Founder, Elected Ambassador, and Administrator Hunter Sailboat Owners Under 30’

Member Legend Owners Association

Member Hunter Association of the UK

Member Hunter Sailing Association Station #1 of the Chesapeake Bay/Baltimore area