1990 Hunter 35.5 keel issue

Jan 19, 2019
Hunter 356 Penetanguishene
Hello all,
I just went to the boat yesterday which is on the hard up here in Canada and noticed something very odd with the keel. I have seen the split line issues before, but I have never seen this area on the side of the keel. I am guessing some water sat in the keel and froze over the winter and push out the side? Any suggestions here?
Trevor

Attachments

Rick D

Jun 14, 2008
Hunter Legend 40.5 Shoreline Marina Long Beach CA
It looks like filler material to me. Let's see what others have to say...

Nov 6, 2006
Hunter 34 Mandeville Louisiana
I think fairing coating that has been broken by water behind it freezing. As previously said, time to scrape the loose stuff off and be ready with a sealer and more fairing compound.

Feb 2, 2006
Hunter Legend 35 Kingston
I had "similar" issues on my keel. Mine issues were on the bulb, at or near the high point.

For me, it was casting impurities (sand, led impurities, etc.). It caused localizes bubbling and puffing of the surface like you have. Water would get in, and freezing would occur, and cause this.

Solution was to really chip away at things and clean it right down to clean/pure lead. Then epoxy/fill back to a fair surface. If you don't get rid of all the inclusions and any porosity, then it will just return after a few seasons.

Now ... yours is on the side face of the keel, and not in a place where casting inclusions might normally occur, so I might worry about something like a keel bolt that is causing some problems.

But, as other say, start digging to see what you find.

Chris

Feb 2, 2006
Hunter Legend 35 Kingston
I believe that's a cast iron keel. Should just remove all material to metal, add barrier coat and paint.
Could be, I know there was both iron and lead in various boats at various times. Just looks identical to mine (lead), and doesn't seem to have any rust staining with the various weeping spots (keel/hull joint, and the area in question).

Aug 27, 2012
Hunter 1990 Hunter 35.5 Toronto
I had the keel dropped and repaired What happens is the bedding around the bolts drys up and cracks and water starts running down and out Could also be from a grounding You may start getting water into the bilge through that crack when you launch
I would discuss with your insurance. Mine I noticed as soon as we hauled out we had a bit of a grounding before haul out I bought my Hunter in Penetanguishene in 2015 and hauled it to Toronto
1586542787069.jpeg

Aug 14, 2011
Hunter 35.5 Legend PCYC Shediac, NB
Great job, do you have any pictures of the interior and how they removed the nuts. With all of the cabinetry it must be difficult. Not allot of room to get a large socket in to get the grip..
on the tail edge of my keel joint I have about 1 inch of black residue appearing. It looks like oily water from the back of my bilge my have found its way down. The rest of my keel joint is in perfect shape so not overly concerned but want to address it early.

Any interior pictures would be helpful