1990 Hunter 30-2 Lazarette Limber Holes?

May 19, 2020
Hunter 30-2 Quincy
Hello!

I bought a 1990 Hunter 30-2 at the tail end of last season and have been scrambling to get work done over the past few weeks to get ready to launch.
I'm trying to figure out where water in the aft lazarettes goes.
Unfortunately the bottom of the compartment is filled with the holding tank (which btw appears to be original, which is in conflict with the owners manual - can anyone confirm this location) and I can't get down there to closely inspect. Where does any water that finds its way into the compartment go?
I can sponge out anything that ends up in the swim platform hatches but the lazarettes are far too deep and obstructed by not only the holding tank but also the fuel tank.
I did not see any limber holes that allow the water to flow into the cabin towards the bilge.
Any ideas??
Thanks!

May 19, 2020
Hunter 30-2 Quincy
No water in the lazarettes but it seems inevitable that some will eventually get in there. I suppose I should have clarified that there is no leak at the moment.

Feb 21, 2013
Hunter 46 Point Richmond, CA
No water is good to hear!! This might be a long shot...........but my 2004 Hunter 386 and 2005 Hunter 46, both with a sugar scoop design, aft lazarettes did / do not have a thru hull drain to the outside or bulkhead drain to the bilge so expect the same for your 1990 Hunter 30-2 .

May 19, 2020
Hunter 30-2 Quincy
Hmm ok, guess I'd better rig up a sponge on a stick or something. I believe the floor of the lazarette is below the water line and I know there are no unexplained thru-hulls in the area so that idea is out for my model.
Thanks for your help

19thol

May 2, 2014
Hunter 30 St.Petersburg, Fl
never had water in there, it would make it's way to the bilge pump anyway.

Jan 22, 2008
Hunter 30_88-94 Ipswich, Ma MA
We’ve owned our 92 30T for 21 years and have never had an issue with water in those lazarettes. The two on the swim platform, as you mentioned, do have to be sponged out occasionally.
The original holding tank was made out of aluminum and located on the port side in the lower level of the lararette. I replace ours about 10 years ago with a polypropylene tank.
The fuel tank is also aluminum located on the starboard side lower level.

May 19, 2020
Hunter 30-2 Quincy
This is excellent info, thank you!
The couple I purchased mine from bought the boat in 2013. Sometime between 1990 and 2013 the holding tank was replaced with a full-width poly tank spanning the lower level of the lazarette and the fuel tank presumably replaced with an aluminum tank above it, again spanning the full width of the compartment.
This would explain why I cannot find the fuel gauge on it that I've read about on several other Hunter threads...

We’ve owned our 92 30T for 21 years and have never had an issue with water in those lazarettes. The two on the swim platform, as you mentioned, do have to be sponged out occasionally.
The original holding tank was made out of aluminum and located on the port side in the lower level of the lararette. I replace ours about 10 years ago with a polypropylene tank.
The fuel tank is also aluminum located on the starboard side lower level.