1990 Hunter 18.5 Soft Vang

Dhozer

Jun 20, 2021
Hunter 18.5 Lake Travis
I recently purchased an 18.5 that came with a soft vang. The first trip out, I sailed without it because I was unsure where it was supposed to mount. There isn't much documentation on the functionality of the Vang on this boat and most diagrams I have seen do not include it. Admittedly, I'm a very new sailor (my experience is limited to sunfish, laser, and many years on a Hobie 16. What I'm looking for is images of how all of the lines should be setup and maybe some light reading on the Vang and how to use it. I'm contemplating taking some lessons next month just because I feel a bit overwhelmed coming from a Hobie to this boat (and scared the hell out of my wife when we were caught out in a storm on 4th of July weekend!). Does anyone have a Hunter 18.5 in that model that could send me pictures of the rigging and the whole setup?

Jan 19, 2010
Hobie 16 & Rhodes 22 Skeeter Charleston
Usually there is a tang at the base of the mast to which you shackle the vang.

It often looks like this..

1626113177474.png

So look and see if there is a way to attach a shackle to the base of the mast. There are a lot of ways to accomplish this.

1626113253629.png

Notice in this picture (below) they are using a simple pad eye (aka eye strap or eyelet).

1626113685073.png

You can buy them right here at SBO
Sea-Dog Line Eye Straps - 081101/2/3/4/5
Pop two rivets into this and you are good to go... you can also find these at Lowes in the stainless section near the cheap pullys.