1989 M25XP PCV Question

Sep 13, 2015
Catalina 22 Eugene
So my boat has previously had the PCV run directly into the intake I can tell because there was a ton of oil in the original air cleaner that I replaced with a K&N. I didn't know why it was covered in oil at the time but I tried to clean that up and I put on the K&N. So anyway then the owners prior to myself had just taken and run a hose down into the pan below the engine. This hose would leak a small amount of oil. But it was also leaking some small amount of exhaust into the cabin. Didn't bother me but my wife could smell it. She still can even with it fixed but its a bit better. Anyway what I did was a I put an inlet on the bottom of the K&N and I installed (Amazon.com: Engine Oil Separator Catch Can Reservoir Tank - Baffled with Inner Filter for Pcv Valve - 3/8 Barb Adapter: Car Electronics) this oil catcher in line with the hose. So it leads only down until it gets to that catch bin then it leads up into the bottom of the air filter. Pictures in the first reply....

However, now that I have done this when the engine runs if I then check the oil the oil on the dip stick reads higher than normal. When I then wipe it and re-check the oil reads normal as it should. Before it would come out first dry and I'd have to place it back to then read correctly. This feels like a big change that I shouldn't just ignore.

I should also state that when I tried to check the oil with the engine running a steady stream of oil pushed up from the dip stick tube. (I don't think I'd ever tried this before making the change though so I'm not sure on this one)

I think that this vent system is not ventilating as well as it should. I'm not sure if I should be very concerned that I'm getting quite a bit of pressure?

But anyway I'm kinda thinking that the filter that I installed is too restrictive. I pulled it off and blew into the hose and its fairly restrictive (not at all like blowing into an open hose).

Any recommendations and thoughts or am I way over thinking this?

Last edited:

RitSim

Jan 29, 2018
Beneteau 411 Branford
Sounds like its time for a compression check. Harbor Freight has a diesel check kit. You will also need a metric deep socket to get the injectors out and you will need replacement injector copper crush washers - three each (17011-5362-0) and aluminum fuel line crush washers - 3 each (15221-9402-0). My M25XP was a Kubota D-950 block. See attached info. I believe the Kubota manuals are posted on the C30 and C34 user sites.

Attachments

Sep 13, 2015
Catalina 22 Eugene
Sounds like its time for a compression check.
I've already got a million other projects I really need to get after. Replacement of the Y valves broken handle which just needs the whole valve replaced and new seacocks and some blister repair on the bottom. And a leak fixed near the mast base and I don't think there are any connector's in the mast wiring.

While I'd love to learn how to do a compression check it seems that at my skill level that this would probably cause me to either do more harm than good. Or it would cause me to learn that I need to rebuild things. If that is the case. Or shall I say when that is the case I think that a new Beta Marine Engine and packing are probably in the cards. From what I've read it's similar price difference just a lil more expense on new but not horrible if you do a lot of the install. And I think I may be able to help and find help with a new engine but finding people to come to the boat and help are kinda hard. I'm open to ideas and advice on that path. Boat is a Newport 33 and the end goal is to be able to cruise the San Juans more when I get her ready. So far I'm updating electrical first. New radar and chart plotter and batteries and charging system are all in so far. Electrical I get. Engines not so much but I'm learning.

Would doing the compression check tell me something that might be fairly easy to fix or understand and do? I don't have a ton of time and so thus I prefer to just try and treat this engine as well as I can while I learn. But the plan is once it comes time to rebuild this one to drop in a new Beta.

~Brett

Last edited:
Sep 13, 2015
Catalina 22 Eugene
I spose I could just go back to running a hose into the pan below the engine again. Then I'd be back to operating like it seems everyone else's where the oil isn't on the stick until the 2nd check. At least that is what I read from most people when I've tried searching online for an answer to this. But I've also seen some recommendations to do this oil separator thing from a few places. I can provide links if needed.

Jun 11, 2004
Oday 31 Redondo Beach
About how much oil accumulates in the current filter's catch can over how many hours?

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
I routed my breather hose from the regular "drop down" hose into a plastic bowl under the engine a few years ago to the top of my intake filter housing.
I deliberately chose to NOT install any oil catcher. My reasoning was: Why introduce even more obstruction in that line.
I lived for almost 20 years the old way, less than 5 the new way. Things are just fine. M25. There is foam around the filter, this is just a finished hose shot.
IMG_20171211_143235 (Medium) (Small).jpg

May 7, 2011
C - 30 # 3573 Lake NormanNC formerly Bflo NY
Brett

A couple of things first....

Your profile says Catalina 22 ?????? Tight fit shoehorning in an XP!!

The PO didn't run a hose to the bilge. That is OEM Kubota and how it is done on a tractor -- Universal nor Catalina nor Newport simply never modifies it to keep vapors from stinking up the boat.

Everyone knows not to check the oil level with the engine running!! Only on an auto automatic transmission warmed up.

Oil either being above or below the dipstick mark (my stick is typically bone dry on the first pull) is nothing much to worry about. Get rid of the filter -- unnecessary.

Just keep the crankcase breather hose into the intake manifold and reburn the stuff. You burn fuel oil (diesel) and burning the crankcase vapors is no issue. You don't need a filter there to complicate things - just do like Stu and I did (mine about 25 years ago, so I think the track record stands for itself.)
In fact, the intake manifold on the B engines (e.g., M-25XPB, 35B) have a knock-out port that Kubota puts there for an optional hose nipple to accept the breather hose (tractors and industrial equipment.) Good enough for Kubota, good enough for us sailors!!

IMG_20141009_185455 (Small).jpg

Sep 13, 2015
Catalina 22 Eugene
Your profile says Catalina 22 ?????? Tight fit shoehorning in an XP!!
Hehe good point. I've got a Catalina 22 and I've got a Newport 33... Keep the C22 on the lake locally 6 months out of the year and the N33 lives in a marina in Newport, OR about 1:40 drive away...

The PO didn't run a hose to the bilge. That is OEM Kubota and how it is done on a tractor -- Universal nor Catalina nor Newport simply never modifies it to keep vapors from stinking up the boat.
Really interesting. I know it must have somehow gone to the intake at some point because the previous air intake was covered in an oil mess as was the walls of the intake. I guess I'm just over complicating things....

Everyone knows not to check the oil level with the engine running!! Only on an auto automatic transmission warmed up.
I never claimed to be smart... It makes sense. I just didn't think it through. I'm an electrical guy in that area I'm comfortable and knowledgeable. I'm still working on my beginner diesel mechanic merit badge! ;)

Oil either being above or below the dipstick mark (my stick is typically bone dry on the first pull) is nothing much to worry about. Get rid of the filter -- unnecessary.
I'd read that the bone dry thing was very common in my searching online and so that was something I'd determined was fine and normal. But when it changed after I did a thing I kinda got into the ok what am I about to ruin mode...

Really appreciate the advice!

May 7, 2011
C - 30 # 3573 Lake NormanNC formerly Bflo NY
The Newport is a great boat. My buddy had one.

BTW, I like seeing that TopCog belt. Way to go. It's the best one for our engines.

Last edited:
Sep 13, 2015
Catalina 22 Eugene
The Newport is a great boat. My buddy had one.

BTW, I like seeing that TopCog belt. Way to go. It's the best one for our engines.
Gah!? What? Man I have so much to learn. Ok so I just knew I had a 3/8" belt and I found a shop that sold belts and the most popular belt was some sort of kevlar thing and I've been running that for a little while.... The new belt seems to work fine but because it looked so different I'd wondered if I'd done something stupid again but so far it seems OK? I'll now need to research TopCog type belts. Learn something new every day!

Sep 13, 2015
Catalina 22 Eugene

I ended up installing this belt but I have a space of the top cog type just in case this was a bad choice and I'm out in the middle of the pacific when I find this out. Well not middle but.... Things can feel dramatic especially when you're imagining them. I'm also about to replace the alternator with a 70A Balmar. I didn't want to have to pull pulley's and what not so I just stuck with a 3/8" drive. Hopefully getting that all aligned and all isn't going to be too difficult for me.

Sep 13, 2015
Catalina 22 Eugene
Installing that belt was stupid!

It worked well for a while. Then in the last 10 minutes it started eating itself. I decided screw it and I installed the Balmar serpentine kit. I'll say they had a hard time shipping the right kit and then when I got the right kit one of the bolts was wrong. 2 out of 3 right but the 3rd one was longer for some reason... Anyway once you get the bolts right and all that serpentine kit is awesome!

1621402240617.png