1989 Catalina 30 Hot Water Heater Removal

Jac123

Apr 19, 2019
Catalina 30 Forked River
Looking to remove the hot water heater from my 1989 Catalina 30'. The easiest way seems to cut the lip and the platform all the way to the vertical portion, remove and replace the heater and then bolt/glass in a new strip for the cover support and structural support. Might be able to get it out thru the drawer cabinet but other things need to be removed and I'm old and fat so I might get stuck in there.. Anyone replace a hot water heater located in this position?

Attachments

Apr 5, 2009
Catalina '88 C30 tr/bs Oak Harbor, WA
You are looking at it from the wrong side. Take the drawers between the companion way and the ice box out and remove the frame. It will come out of that hole. Been there, done that on my 1988 mk2 which is the same as yours.

Jac123

Apr 19, 2019
Catalina 30 Forked River
You are looking at it from the wrong side. Take the drawers between the companion way and the ice box out and remove the frame. It will come out of that hole. Been there, done that on my 1988 mk2 which is the same as yours.
Thanks Hayden- I took the drawers and frame out late yesterday but it still looked tight with a depth sounder the po had installed. I will measure all up this weekend. Thanks for your reply

Jun 7, 2016
Catalina C30 Warwick, RI
Do you have any wider shots of its location? Mine was replaced by the PO and is a 12 gallon he put in the port Lazarette. I am interested in relocating a new one even if I have to down size.

Apr 5, 2009
Thanks Hayden- I took the drawers and frame out late yesterday but it still looked tight with a depth sounder the po had installed. I will measure all up this weekend. Thanks for your reply
My depth sounder is in there and I was able to replace mine so good luck.

Jul 27, 2017
Catalina 30 5167 Texas
Would it be possible to remove the transducer temporarily and stick a plug in or something?

I am not attempting to plug my dumb videos in any way, but I replaced mine and have some video footage of the process. It took quite a bit of contortion to do it. I ended up having to slide it to the right and sort of up and backwards at the same time.

Here is a link to the footage:

If this violates any forum rules, feel free to remove it, I am just trying to help.

Jul 1, 2004
Catalina 30 Atlanta GA
I have the same boat with the same problem. Not many hot water tanks are successfully removed going thru the rear pull method where the framework of the cabinet is removed. I tried everything to avoid what you see in the photo and ended up cutting a piece of the fiberglass framework out to extract the tank. This was an easy removal and replacement. That glass piece can be reinstalled by applying a couple of thin metal strips with epoxy under the lip to support the cut out piece on both sides and fill the voids with gelcoat. Catalina did not make it easy for the tank to be removed as several features block its path out. It all depends on what they did in the factory that day in applying a support bracket in that area. Some brackets were thinner then others, which corresponds to the ease of removal. If the tank does not slide backwards easily enough for removal do NOT FORCE IT!
Good luck and definitely shop around for a replacement tank. Good deals out there.

Bob
1988 Mark II
Breezin II
Lake Lanier, GA

Attachments

Apr 5, 2009
Mine came out with little difficulty. disconnect everything, slide it to the right into the space where the drawer are. turn it 90º. pull it out through the cutout for the drawer frame.

Jac123

Apr 19, 2019
Catalina 30 Forked River
I have the same boat with the same problem. Not many hot water tanks are successfully removed going thru the rear pull method where the framework of the cabinet is removed. I tried everything to avoid what you see in the photo and ended up cutting a piece of the fiberglass framework out to extract the tank. This was an easy removal and replacement. That glass piece can be reinstalled by applying a couple of thin metal strips with epoxy under the lip to support the cut out piece on both sides and fill the voids with gelcoat. Catalina did not make it easy for the tank to be removed as several features block its path out. It all depends on what they did in the factory that day in applying a support bracket in that area. Some brackets were thinner then others, which corresponds to the ease of removal. If the tank does not slide backwards easily enough for removal do NOT FORCE IT!
Good luck and definitely shop around for a replacement tank. Good deals out there.

Bob
1988 Mark II
Breezin II
Lake Lanier, GA

Thanks Bob - that's exactly what I was proposing.