1989 Catalina 25 wing keel pointing ability

Status
Not open for further replies.
B

Barr

Dear Reader, I own a 1989 Catalina tall rig with a wing keel that is very much lacking when sailing to windward. I know that wing keel boats are not designed to point high, but there must be something I am missing because my boat is so far inferior to windward. Its hard for me to believe that Catalina would design a boat that is this "point less". If anyone has a suggestion whether it be mast rake or other rig tuning, I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks Barr

M

Michael McCann

Catalina 25 Pointing

Barr; Pointing to windward is more than the angle to the wind. If you can't sail as high as other C25's this is a matter of mast tuning, sail trim, and helm skill. If you merely end up farther down wind at the end of a leg that is the keels problem. I sailed a C25T fin against another C25T wing for 6 years, we were very competative, but best of friends. Only the very skilled sailors of the C25S swing keels (which suposedly point the highest) could stay close to the two tall rigs. Hope this 'points' you in the right direction. Michael

K

Kevin Kluthe

pointing and wing keels

Four words. Tune your standing rigging. I have a 28 and had the same problem and tuned the rigging and not only gained pointing ability but a whole knot in speed to boot. Buy yourself a tension meter from one of the boat supply catalogs and get tuning.

Status
Not open for further replies.