1989 C-22 Wing Keeled New Design

Nov 19, 2008
Catalina C-22 MK-II Parrish, FL
I posted on the C-22 Owners Page on Facebook some photos and my observations on a new design C-22 I saw last week while in Beaufort S.C. that is for sale. If someone is interested, it might be worth checking out I think. It's located at the Beaufort Yacht and Sailing Club.

Don

Sep 30, 2013
1988 Catalina 22 North Florida
Don, what kind of turning blocks were you referring to on that boat, which the owner used in lieu of jib sheet winches?

Nov 19, 2008
They are 3" Harken cheek blocks with a ratchet to hold the line. The racers use these so the crewman can sit up on the high side and quickly adjust the jib. In windy conditions they will use the winches on the cabin top and use these simply as a turning block. One is designed for the ratchet to hold on the portside, the other designed to hold on the starboard side. You can turn the ratchet off if you don't need them.

Don

Sep 30, 2013
1988 Catalina 22 North Florida
I've seen pictures of race boats with some kind of small block on the coaming where the winch would normally go. Always wondered exactly what it was, and what it would be like to use one. As a new design owner, I'm always looking for a better way than what Catalina gave us. If anyone has a pic of these blocks in action, I'd love to see it.

I have a pair of Anderson self tailing winches in the shed, but I have not revealed this fact to the Admiral just yet. Honestly some sort of turning block/cam cleat sounds pretty good to me.

Sorry for the thread drift. :biggrin:

Nov 19, 2008
Here is a photo that shows a typical racers jib sheet set-up. The problem for a lazy cruiser guy like me is that someone has the sheet in their hand. Great for instant adjustments while racing, bad for a lazy guy like me who sits back waiting for the next puff. I couldn't pull the sheets in with just a turning block, especially with a 150 up front.

The second and third photo shows one of the most innovative racing C-22's I've seen. The turning block is inside the modified cockpit coaming. This boat was sadly lost last year in the Dauphin Island Regatta when the boat was run over and sunk by a larger boat that kept on sailing away leaving the crew for dead.

Don
2014 C22 NATS 212.JPG
4 G 004.JPG
4 G 003.JPG

Last edited:
Nov 8, 2010
Beneteau First 36.7 & 260 Minneapolis MN & Bayfield WI
The second and third photo shows one of the most innovative racing C-22's I've seen. The turning block is inside the modified cockpit coaming. This boat was sadly lost last year in the Dauphin Island Regatta when the boat was run over and sunk by a larger boat that kept on sailing away leaving the crew for dead.
View attachment 121850
What makes me stand up and clap on this tricky C22 is not the head-sail trim mod, but the REMOTE TRAVELER ADJUSTMENT. That line and cleat on the cockpit side wall controls the traveler, and lets the main trimmer do both, like god intended. What a great mod! It's too bad that the C22 association does not allow a full-on replacement of the traveler, that little POS on the transom was a stupid idea when they dreamed it up, and even more so now. Throw a long bar across the seats like the Capri 22 has.

Sep 8, 2014
Catalina 22 Swing Keel San Diego
Wow... I could have saved about $800 on the self-tailing winches, LOL!