1988 Hunter 33.5 Mast Compression Post

TeamG

Apr 19, 2020
Hunter 33.5 Dallas, TX
Good evening everyone. I’ve noticed my mast step appears to have a bit of a dip to it. I’m concerned that the compression post may be compromised or rotted similar to others I’ve read about here. Is there a way to inspect the post without removing all the teak that’s wrapping it? I’ve read numerous posts here and it appears stainless steel is the way to go for a replacement. I’m curious if anyone know the exact specs required for the stainless post taking into account the upper and lower plates. I’m going to have a rigger check the stays to make sure those aren’t just cranked down too tight causing the step to appear mushed. Likely this compression post will need to be replaced anyway given the horror stories I’ve read here about the H33.5 which I’m okay with if it keeps the boat in good working order. Thanks again for all your help and suggestions.

Oct 28, 2018
Hunter 31 Duncan Bay
I used a hydraulic ram to remove the tension, and only removed the teak that was screwed on. You can then see the ends for inspection. My post was fine, but I needed the room for mast wires.