1988 Hunter 33.5 Interior Cushions

TeamG

Apr 19, 2020
Hunter 33.5 Dallas, TX
Hello everyone,
First post here and I’m purchasing a 98’ Hunter 33.5 that unfortunately does not have interior cushions. Does anyone know where I can start to find replacements online. Further, if I need to do custom I’ve researched FoamOrder and CustomCushions.com and both look reasonable as far as pricing. I’m not wanting to spend too much for replacements but want decent quality at the same time. I don’t take delivery for a few more weeks so in the meantime would like to get moving on securing interior cushions for primarily the couch and dining table cushions. Is there a place online where I can find the dimensions of these spaces so I can get? Any help is appreciated. Thanks!

TeamG

Apr 19, 2020
Hunter 33.5 Dallas, TX
The boat is an 88’ not a 98’ for clarity I saw I posted the wrong year in the body of my msg. ‍♂

Jan 19, 2010
Hobie 16 & Rhodes 22 Skeeter Charleston
Right here.... the SBO store sells hunter cushions. Call them and they will ask a bunch of questions to make sure you get the right stuff.

Jan 19, 2010
BTW: a sub section of this site is called HunterOwners.com

Check them out, you will find parts, manuals etc. And if you don't see the part you want, call them. I"ve done this many times and they have always been able to find the part I need.

The owners of SBO used to work for Hunter.

Last edited:

TeamG

Apr 19, 2020
Hunter 33.5 Dallas, TX
BTW: a sub section of this site is called HunterOwners.com

Check them out, you will find parts, manuals etc. And if you don't see the part you want, call them. I"ve done this many times and they have always been able to find the part I need.

The owners of SBO used to work for Hunter.
Thank you! I submitted an online inquiry. Here’s a photo of the current interior and I’m looking to restore it and keep the cost relatively low given the overall value of the boat. I’ve also posted a photo of the desired photos from another Hunter. Any and all interior suggestions are appreciated. Cheers!

Attachments

Jun 21, 2004
Beneteau 343 Slidell, LA
Try island nautical marine in St Petersburg, FL. They acquired JSI a few years back; JSI had patterns for most Hunter sailboats.
www.islandnautical.com
Brings back fond memories of my 33.5 Hunter that I lost in hurricane Katrina. Good luck with your new boat.

Last edited:
Jan 19, 2010
Local culture varies a lot but where I live you can still find "old-school" seamstress shops and cobbler shops.

I've used both and have always been surprised at how economical it is to have a custom item built. You could always go to either an upholstery shop or seamstress near you and ask for a quote. You might want to specify the fabric and in that case I'd use sunbrella or other high tech material.

There are several people here who swear by a company called "sailrite".

They specialize in sewing kits and equipment for the DIY sailor. They might even have the patterns for your boat so maybe worth a look. For the cost of having it done.. you could buy your own sewing machine and materials and then you would have the machine for later projects.

TeamG

Apr 19, 2020
Hunter 33.5 Dallas, TX
Try island nautical marine in St Petersburg, FL. They acquired JSI a few years back; JSI had patterns for most Hunter sailboats.
www.islandnautical.com
Brings back fond memories of my 33.5 Hunter that I lost in hurricane Katrina. Good luck with your new boat.
Thanks BigEasy I’ll check out islandnautical. Cheers!

TeamG

Apr 19, 2020
Hunter 33.5 Dallas, TX
Local culture varies a lot but where I live you can still find "old-school" seamstress shops and cobbler shops.

I've used both and have always been surprised at how economical it is to have a custom item built. You could always go to either an upholstery shop or seamstress near you and ask for a quote. You might want to specify the fabric and in that case I'd use sunbrella or other high tech material.

There are several people here who swear by a company called "sailrite".

They specialize in sewing kits and equipment for the DIY sailor. They might even have the patterns for your boat so maybe worth a look. For the cost of having it done.. you could buy your own sewing machine and materials and then you would have the machine for later projects.
Appreciate you Ranger. I’m in contact now with a couple shops that are working up some quotes for me. Afraid I’m not handy with a sewing machine so probably better left to someone with more talent . Again I do appreciate everyone’s help. Anyone had experience with this fabric? I’ve always had blue or brown cushions but like the bright look of linen. Concerned about cleanliness though. Gives is a modern look. Cheers!

Attachments

Jun 21, 2004
Beneteau 343 Slidell, LA
Anyone had experience with this fabric? I’ve always had blue or brown cushions but like the bright look of linen. Concerned about cleanliness though.
Had something quite similar to your sunbrella linen photo on my 33.5; looks nice! When I purchased the boat it was already 10 years old. I cleaned the foam & fabric thoroughly & treated with Scotch Guard. Didn't have kids on the boat and was also careful with not getting sunscreen on the cushions. Still looked good after 17 years when I lost the boat.

Jan 19, 2010
Katrina 2005; totaled.
Bummer.... very sorry to hear it. Katrina skipped most of my family but Rita did not... combined we lost 19 houses in the extended family. One of my great uncles lived on Pecan island... his house floated off of the risers and drifted 7 miles through the marsh. At 88 years of age he dragged his house back to his lot with a tractor. My mom asked him what he was going to do now and he said "I guess I'll build it higher this time". I love those old timers. :thumbup:

TeamG

Apr 19, 2020
Hunter 33.5 Dallas, TX
Bummer.... very sorry to hear it. Katrina skipped most of my family but Rita did not... combined we lost 19 houses in the extended family. One of my great uncles lived on Pecan island... his house floated off of the risers and drifted 7 miles through the marsh. At 88 years of age he dragged his house back to his lot with a tractor. My mom asked him what he was going to do now and he said "I guess I'll build it higher this time". I love those old timers. :thumbup:
Incredible story. I can just see him out there with his old John Deer and a chain. We lost a home to Ike several years back in Galveston. Unfortunately there were no remains of it to be found. Cheers!

Jan 19, 2010
Incredible story. I can just see him out there with his old John Deer and a chain. We lost a home to Ike several years back in Galveston. Unfortunately there were no remains of it to be found. Cheers!
Thanks.... he was out for an evening walk in 2017 at age 93 and was struck by a drunk driver. He left me a little money in his will and I sold my Balboa 26 and combined it with his to buy the Hunter I now sail.

The house story has another funny twist. When he evacuated the island, he remembered that he had forgotten his mother's heirloom quilt on the foot of his bed. The quilt had contributions from each of his aunts and uncles so it was very precious to him. When he got back to the house everything in the house up about 7' on the walls was covered in mud.... Except the quilt! It was pristine. He told me that it was a miracle.... a few days later he remembered that his bed has an air filled mattress .... :facepalm: I'm picturing this mattress floating around the house with his mother's quilt on top.:laugh:

TeamG

Apr 19, 2020
Hunter 33.5 Dallas, TX
Happy to report that all new cushions are being constructed as we speak. I went with CustomCushions.com and they’re using the sailrite canvas material and 5” foam which should look lovely. I look forward to sharing photos of the finished product when they arrive. in the meantime we’re sitting on cheap patio cushions from HomeDepot. Super excited!