1987 Mk II Lower Shroud U-Bolt Failure

Jun 2, 2014
Catalina 30 mkII - 1987 Alamitos Bay Marina, LB, CA
Had a different failure first... Mainsheet traveller block snapped in heavy winds during a small jibe and the boom went flying starboard and smacked the lower shroud and broke the U-Bolt. It was clearly corroded to begin with, and I know I should check them all.

My question though: Does anyone know off the top of their heads what size and make these are? Or a specific model number?
I found the upgrade kit on CD, which I don't need because I already have the originals as per 1987 Catalina Yachts, and the very friendly Warren in tech support couldn't tell me for sure what the make/model/size is but is guessing it was a Gerhauer part.

I also found this on CD, but not sure if it's the exact same one either. I will call CD and see if they know, but if not, I'll have to go measure mine. I'm trying to order one to replace this one before I pull it out.

shroud u-bolt.jpg

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
You might receive more boat-specific answers here:

Catalina 30 Groups Link

Subscribe at the web forum:
Catalina30 groups.io Group
*All things Catalina 30 and 309! Sponsored by the International Catalina 30 Assn IC30A. FAQs, Q&A, comments, and experiences especially fixes and modifications invited. Share with over 2200 other owners. Website catalina30.com* *Please join the International Catalina 30 Association.
or by sending an email to:
Catalina30+subscribe@groups.io

This comes from this sbo thread by weekendrken:

1992 Catalina 30

Also: www.catalina30.com

Jun 2, 2014
You might receive more boat-specific answers here:

Catalina 30 Groups Link
Thanks Stu, got some responses, but nothing useful. CD finally answered and they say they're sending me the right one. it sounds like whatever they use in their upgrade kit they think is also the OE part. We'll see. Thanks.

Jun 2, 2014
CD sent me the non-web-listed replacement bolt that is part of their upgrade kit. other than being slightly longer it appears correct.
It's the part used in this kit:

shroud_bolt.jpg

I also noticed that they sell a stand alone bolt kit for something else that is almost half of what they charged me and it too appears to be the same thing.

Last thing I noticed is that all my rigging is bedded with Silicone. I think I'm going to pull everything up after I replace this one and check it, and then rebed them with 4200 unless someone has another suggestion.

dmax

Jul 29, 2018
O'Day 35 Buzzards Bay
There are other sources for butyl but Rod spec'ed his stuff specifically for boats - I don't know of another brand to recommend. 4200 would also be a fine choice.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Rod was selling the Bed-It Butyl Tape through a marine supply I think in Maine. He told me the outfit, but I did not need it immediately and just waited til he returned from a holiday.
Can not find the store.
I did find a Canadian outlet...