1987 Hunter 28.5 Project Update

Nov 1, 2017
Catalina 25 Sea Star Base Galveston, TX
Ahoy from Galveston, TX! A while back, I made an update post saying I'd adopted a 1987 Hunter 28.5 named "Miss-Guided" (will be renamed & christened once she is functional). Things have been going well, although we've hit a few bumps in the road, the largest being the ole Yanmar 2GM20, which was seized up entirely. We soaked the crankcase with all manners of Marvel Mystery Oil and ATF and kept trying to turn the crank, but it never got close to budging. So, we found another identical engine in Ohio, and had it shipped down here right away. The new engine now sits in our storage unit in Kemah, and is ready to be swapped with the old one. In other news, the onboard AC worked just fine when we adopted the boat, then suddenly quit on us as soon as June rolled around (figures). Come to find out, when a boat sits for six years unattended, the amount of growth one gets in their AC hoses and strainer cylinder is substantial. With a full system flush done and a new stainless thru-hull installed, the AC works wonderfully and will be serviced regularly by switching out sea strainers every week.
The plumbing system is in decent shape and dawns a new-to-us water pump; an automatic bilge pump was also installed on that same day. This past week my buddy and I removed all the cabin ports and windows and re-bedded and sealed them using LifeSeal (the stuff is awesome). The interior of the boat is alright, but the cabin floor is water-damaged, as is some of the other plywood veneer. We'll be replacing the floor with brand new teak and holly and resurfacing the plywood with...something. If y'all have any ideas, let me know!
Soon I'll be suiting up and jumping in the slip to dive on the boat, with hammer and paint scraper in hand. The goal is to remove as much growth from the bottom as possible before we tow her up to her new home in Kemah. Once there, we will conduct a haul-out where the boat will receive a full bottom job, folding prop, new thru-hulls, and lots of other nice things. We will be taking more photos of our progress soon, so I'll be sure to post those here on this forum thread as we continue to move forward in the coming months. Hope y'all are staying safe this H-word season. Fair winds.

Sincerely,

Simon

Jun 1, 2016
Hunter 28.5 Lake City, MN
I've got an '88 28.5 as well (lake water though...). It's been a very good boat for us for the last 7 years.

Each year I tried to do some additional maintenance on my boat, this year it was cleaning out the fuel tank and replacing the rubber lines. Previous years I've cleaned out the antifreeze system, resealed the bottom of the boat, and other projects.

It will take you a while to get familiar with your boat, so that you know what to trust. But it sounds like you've got a really good start.

Mike

rhwins

Dec 8, 2007
Hunter 28.5 Long Beach, CA
Ahoy from Galveston, TX! A while back, I made an update post saying I'd adopted a 1987 Hunter 28.5 named "Miss-Guided" (will be renamed & christened once she is functional). Things have been going well, although we've hit a few bumps in the road, the largest being the ole Yanmar 2GM20, which was seized up entirely. We soaked the crankcase with all manners of Marvel Mystery Oil and ATF and kept trying to turn the crank, but it never got close to budging. So, we found another identical engine in Ohio, and had it shipped down here right away. The new engine now sits in our storage unit in Kemah, and is ready to be swapped with the old one. In other news, the onboard AC worked just fine when we adopted the boat, then suddenly quit on us as soon as June rolled around (figures). Come to find out, when a boat sits for six years unattended, the amount of growth one gets in their AC hoses and strainer cylinder is substantial. With a full system flush done and a new stainless thru-hull installed, the AC works wonderfully and will be serviced regularly by switching out sea strainers every week.
The plumbing system is in decent shape and dawns a new-to-us water pump; an automatic bilge pump was also installed on that same day. This past week my buddy and I removed all the cabin ports and windows and re-bedded and sealed them using LifeSeal (the stuff is awesome). The interior of the boat is alright, but the cabin floor is water-damaged, as is some of the other plywood veneer. We'll be replacing the floor with brand new teak and holly and resurfacing the plywood with...something. If y'all have any ideas, let me know!
Soon I'll be suiting up and jumping in the slip to dive on the boat, with hammer and paint scraper in hand. The goal is to remove as much growth from the bottom as possible before we tow her up to her new home in Kemah. Once there, we will conduct a haul-out where the boat will receive a full bottom job, folding prop, new thru-hulls, and lots of other nice things. We will be taking more photos of our progress soon, so I'll be sure to post those here on this forum thread as we continue to move forward in the coming months. Hope y'all are staying safe this H-word season. Fair winds.

Sincerely,

Try putting an ounce or so in each cylinder of automatic transmission fluid and acetone, maybe through the fuel injector hole and let it soak for a couple of days. Try to turn it over with the F I out.

Nov 19, 2015
Hunter 28.5 Wickford Cove, Rhode Island
@Simon Sexton. We have an 86' H28.5 and have been thinking to add AC. Would you know the model and BTU size of your unit. We are also looking to have a dodger, bimini and connector built and installed. I am meeting a fabricator to look at this next Tuesday. One item I just installed this past summer was a bow plate and a Mantis anchor roller mount. The bow plate is of stainless steel and was bolted to the outside of the aluminum toe rail with spacers to hold it above the toe rail. I really got tired of carrying the anchor forward from the aft storage compartment to connect it to the chain and drop it overboard, then reverse to store it away. See Pic. I now am thinking to relocate the traveler to just ahead of the companion way. But I will be soliciting input on this idea from this forum. Good luck with you endeavors on your 28.5.
20230507_190149.jpg
20230506_172904.jpg

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Russell, That is sure a pretty piece of Stainless Steel work on the bow. I hope you have adequately installed backing of for all that plate. It would be a bad day for a wave to hit the boat and rip that all back 12-14 inches.

That said, with the anchor up there swinging about. in the bow roller, I found on my boat the Mantus Anchor guard to be a great addition to the system. The anchor is fixed in position.
1700433180943.png

Nov 19, 2015
Hunter 28.5 Wickford Cove, Rhode Island
Thanks for your complement on the installation. I have been considering the Mantus anchor guard. I thought I would try a 3/8" pin through the roller assemble and the anchor shaft but haven't drilled for that yet.