1987 Catalina 22 Outboard Spring Assist Lift Bracket

Feb 20, 2016
Catalina 22 Palm Harbor
Appreciate all the input from fellow sailors. If the outboard brakes away from the transom, I'm coming after every one of you for donations. All kidding aside, this is the best place to feel comfortable as a novice. Thanks to you all, my wife really thinks I know what I'm doing, regardless.
Appreciate the help and safe sailing

Mar 20, 2015
C&C 30 Mk1 Winnipeg
I had it here last time around, but appears they are no longer
Yeah. Since Maine Sail had a stroke, his site store is closed at least temporarily.

Hopefully another store has some remaining stock of his product.

Last edited:
Sep 30, 2013
1988 Catalina 22 North Florida
I seem to recall that the OEM gudgeons are in threaded metal plates. I need to go back and look at my old photos and see if they have backing nuts. Too many projects ago.

They use plates, but not threaded:

IMG_0424.JPG

New Design backstays employ threaded SS plates, as do the aft ends of the bow pulpit. Incredibly THIN plates, in the case of the pulpit. More like sheet metal:

2015-01-09 16.36.48.jpg

Mar 20, 2015
C&C 30 Mk1 Winnipeg
New Design backstays employ threaded SS plates, as do the aft ends of the bow pulpit. Incredibly THIN plates, in the case of the pulpit. More like sheet metal:
Interesting !

At least if someone needed to remove the pulpit they would not have to chop the fiberglass to get to some spinning nuts.

Did you work on the pulpit or is that someone else's photo ?

Sep 30, 2013
Good point about the spinning nuts! Especially because the only way to access the nuts would be to cut two big holes in the ... umm ... whatever you call the surface where these two big round holes are cut.

AFTER cutting the holes, I realized there were no nuts to deal with. Oh well. Now the boat is much lighter and faster. :thumbup:

2015-01-13 16.37.38.jpg

Last edited:
Mar 20, 2015
C&C 30 Mk1 Winnipeg
AFTER cutting the holes, I realized there were no nuts to deal with. Oh well. Now the boat is much lighter and faster. :thumbup:
Speed holes !

They look big enough for some speakers to hide them. So we can call that section the forward subwoofer !

• Ha
Sep 15, 2016
Catalina 22 Minnesota
They use plates, but not threaded:
Interesting. There must have been a design change somewhere along the line. I have the 87 New design and the gudgeons are threaded brass bar stock. The lower one is easily reachable. The upper one I used threaded rods to hold in place while re-bedding the gudgeons to avoid cutting the hole pictured. Nuts on either of those locations would be a total pain.

Sep 15, 2016
Catalina 22 Minnesota
Good point about the spinning nuts! Especially because the only way to access the nuts would be to cut two big holes in the ... umm ... whatever you call the surface where these two big round holes are cut.

View attachment 202349

on an unrelated topic since you cut the holes is there access to the anchor locker drain or the bow eye in there? Always wonder what I would do if the bow eye pulled out and I have a very minor leak form the anchor locker drain.

Sep 30, 2013
on an unrelated topic since you cut the holes is there access to the anchor locker drain or the bow eye in there? Always wonder what I would do if the bow eye pulled out and I have a very minor leak form the anchor locker drain.
I don't think so.

There was a guy here some years ago who used an 1 1/2" paddle bit to create an access hole for that mythical lower bow eye nut. He indicated that it was then easy to replace his rotten backing block . His pic:

BOW EYE.jpeg

Sep 15, 2016
Catalina 22 Minnesota
I don't think so.

There was a guy here some years ago who used an 1 1/2" paddle bit to create an access hole for that mythical lower bow eye nut. He indicated that it was then easy to replace his rotten backing block . His pic:

View attachment 202373
Ouch! Hopefully mine does not pull out any time soon. With so many different launch ramps used in a year thought I am afraid it will be inevitable at some point. Oh well that's a tack for another time. Thanks for the picture and the replay. Sorry to highjack this thread a bit.