1987 Cat 22 Transom Scupper Drain

Feb 20, 2016
Catalina 22 Palm Harbor
Any luck with these expensive replacement parts and their installation. I believe one of the copper inserts has corroded and they both need replaced. This boat has scupper drains AFT not Cockpit Forward. I did see an alternate install involving 1-1/4"? PVC Union Coupling used after needing to hone out the existing hole to make this happen.

Attachments

Mar 20, 2015
C&C 30 Mk1 Winnipeg
All the later C22 have the much better aft scupper design.

Installing brass tubes is easy if you have the install tool.

@Gene Neill redid his with plastic.

Last edited:
Feb 28, 2022
Catalina 22 12482 Champaign-Urbana, IL
That was one of my first projects, something I did before leaving it in a slip. I had been drinking a lot of 96% water beverages and didn't do the best of jobs, but they've held up well for me. I rushed it and didn't have plywood to wedge between the transom interior, but haven't had any issues yet this season. If done right, with the plywood backing, I would have total confidence in them. I had to cut mine down to fit.

Attachments

Mar 20, 2015
C&C 30 Mk1 Winnipeg
Not me! Mine are glassed in. No insert.
Oops crap.. Sorry I just remember you going through a lot of work. I thought it was to make them bigger diameter. Glassing seems like big, but superior method... How is it holding up?

Sep 30, 2013
1988 Catalina 22 North Florida
Oops crap.. Sorry I just remember you going through a lot of work. I thought it was to make them bigger diameter. Glassing seems like big, but superior method... How is it holding up?
Holding up 100%.

But honestly the only reason I did it that way was, I was repairing the cockpit floor anyway. So all my tools and materials were right there. And my brass tubes were leaking.

If I just had leaky old brass tubes, I'd probably just use plastic inserts. But I'd probably drill two more scupper holes, in all seriousness. Cuz why not.