1987 c & c MKIII Vang info needed

Jun 17, 2012
C&C 35 MKIII Manitowoc, WI
just bought my 1st c & c 8 weeks ago. Noticed it did not have a boom Vang. Well other than the block pulley set up I found on board and attached. I get that but I would prefer a hard Vang that telescopes for adjustment if needed in addition to the present setup. I have not a clue on how to find the correct Vang for this vessel. I did notice there are provisional attachment holes to accommodate a fixed Vang. If anyone has a photo or any info-thanks. Jim

Jan 7, 2011
Oday 322 East Chicago, IN
I don’t have your boat (I have an O’Day 322). My boat had a rope vang, a Traveller, Mainsheet and a topping lift.

I was interested in a rigid vang of some sort, but didn’t want to purchase a new one if I could help it.

I looked at a device that uses 2 fiberglass rods positioned from the base of the mast to a point on the boom, but it isn’t really telescoping. I had one of these on my Hunter 280 many years ago…cheap, but not exactly what I wanted.

Garhauer makes a rigid vang that is ”reasonably” priced, and Seldon makes one that it quite expensive.

You need to know a few things to fit the vang properly…
- do you have room at the base of the mast to mount the lower bracket?
- do you have space to mount the boom bracket and not interfere with other hardware?
- you need a measurement between the base of the mast and the location on the boom where you want to attach the vang. They don’t need to be too precise, as the boom bracket can be slid forward or aft as needed, as long as you have the free space.
- how much does your boom weigh…? Not specifically, but these things have some sort of spring to keep it rigid. In the case of Seldon, it is a gas-charged strut. You need to order it with the right newton of force.

In my case, I found a used Seldon rigid vang from a fellow SBO member, but the gas strut was shot. I was able to order a new strut for it, and rebuild vang.

It wasn’t ordered for my boat specifically, but I knew it came off a similarly sized boat. I did upgrade the spring from the original strength to a stronger spring. I was able to make small adjustments to my mainsheet tackle to get the rigid vang in place.

IMG_1364.jpeg IMG_1365.jpeg

Greg

• Helpful
Jun 17, 2012
C&C 35 MKIII Manitowoc, WI
Thank you Greg. I also had a Hinter 356. So I get the whole Vang fit and functionality piece. And yes it appears this boat has the correct mounting accommodations for a hard Vang. Maybe another sailor will have A a photo….