1987 31' Hunter

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 17, 2009
Hunter 31 Mn
I am looking at buying a mid-1980s 31' Hunter. My wife wants me to buy a model with the U-shaped dining seating, with the fold-over table, rather than the double-bench style. I am only seeing the U-shaped seating in the 1987 model. I am wondering if that U-shaped seating arrangement was standard in th 1987 model, or was an option. Also, was that seating arrangement available on any earlier 30-34' models? Also, does anyone know if the specs are available for that U-shaped seating arrangement, to convert the double-bench style? Thanks for the help.

Jan 22, 2008
Hunter 34 Alameda CA
We started sailing on our friend's 70's model Islander 30 Mark II. That had a U-shaped dinette. Nice layout as people could be seated at the table and you could still go past. When we bought our own boat in '85, we choose the Hunter 34 beacause it had the same layout.

Benny

Sep 27, 2008
Hunter 320 Tampa, FL
I think the 86 and 87 models had the U shaped dinnette while earlier models had the bench. The advantage U dinnette is tha you can sit up to 6 persons while the bench type can only hold 4. On the other hand the benches turn into a nice double bed which Im not sure the U can do. Hunter never had optional layouts in boats that size so your options may be limited by year models. I always say, when you buy a used car you can never pick the color. Good luck.

Aug 16, 2009
Hunter 1986 H31 California Yacht Marina, Chula Vista, CA
My 86 31' has the bench layout. I agree, however, that more dining space and fewer berths is preferable. Might agree to entertain more than 5, but extending sailing on a 31 with more than 4 is something I would only do occasionally.
Richard

May 21, 2004
Hunter 31_83-87 Milwaukee South Shore Yacht Club
Hi,
We have a 1987 Hunter 31 with the U shaped dinette. We often have a solon-full of people for drinks and snacks. Our dinette is ideal for that. The galley is set up great for serving to the dinette.

We never overnight (or two) with more than one other couple and only go on extended cruises with just the two of us.

Marybeth & Rip

B

bob c g

Changed On 87 Models

Hunter changed the seat arrangement for the 87 model. Some of the last hull numbers that were produced in 86 may also have the u- shape but would be rare.

Nov 8, 2009
Hunter 386LE San Fancisco
I am looking at buying a mid-1980s 31' Hunter. My wife wants me to buy a model with the U-shaped dining seating, with the fold-over table, rather than the double-bench style. I am only seeing the U-shaped seating in the 1987 model. I am wondering if that U-shaped seating arrangement was standard in th 1987 model, or was an option. Also, was that seating arrangement available on any earlier 30-34' models? Also, does anyone know if the specs are available for that U-shaped seating arrangement, to convert the double-bench style? Thanks for the help.
I purchased a 1987 Hunter 31 in Nov 2009, which has a U-shaped dinette with the fold-over table. We comfortably seat 6 in the U-shaped dinette. I do not know what was standard, what options were available, etc.

Dec 2, 1999
Hunter Vision-36 Rio Vista, CA.
That was the standard layout on the "87 model. Most of the mfg. have the option of changing features at anytime, so there may be some '86 models with this configuration.

Status
Not open for further replies.