1986 Shoal Draft H34 - New Owner Checking In

Jan 5, 2018
Hunter H34 0828 New Orleans
Greetings fellow Hunter Owners! Just purchased [then left for vacation] an 1986 Hunter 34SD. I've attached a picture from the PO of "Last Resort" sailing on Lake Pontchartrain last year. She is in mechanically great shape & will get a new bottom this month. There are a quite a few "running rigging opportunities" which I will certainly be taking advantage of in the upcoming months/years. Once I do a little work; I plan to rename her: "My Slice" - - I'm in the pizza business...
LastResort.jpg

Whilst on vaca; I have completed a lot of reading of this forum [Big Boats]. Mainly all articles dealing with the H34. I'm on page 128 of 658. I'm now much more versed in the Compression Post Repair - thanks to all; False Bilge; Portlights [both fixed and opening] Replacement; 2-blade vs. 3-blade prop discussion; Starboard List [ala battery location]; "Reef Early" to balance out the windward helm; Advantages of a 110% vs. a 150% Ginny [I currently have a 150 & will switch out in next year]; Ideas on Settting up an Cockpit Reefing system; Iron Keel maintenance, etc etc etc... I've enjoyed reading detailed posts by Claude [Mr. "Been there Done that..."]; Splax; Kloudie [lives about an hour from me - - lucked out on that!!]; Allan; Capt. Robbie; Fast Ed; Ilan; Richard B; Charlie - - and many others. Let me say thank you for all of your contributions and for making this move [up to a big boat] a little less un-nerving.

While my reading has provided many answers to many of my concerns, I was not able to find anything [yet] on a particular cut-out at the forward port portion of the shower sump. Because I'm not at the boat, I've had to take a picture off of this forum of the area in question. I've circled the area on the picture. On my boat, there is an approx 1.5" hole with the "tip" of a hose barely sticking out of it. The hose/conduit is empty and is running on a steep angle towards the stern. What is this??? See picture:
Shower Sump_LI.jpg

I want to end by stating: I am so often 'shocked' to see folks "jump on this forum and ask a question - - and many many answers provided [by the folks I mentioned above] but then there is no response or follow up from the original post? The OP just "up and vanishes like a fart in the wind???" When you click on their profile [dig a little deeper], you often see that was there only post... Let me just say - - that will not be me! I really appreciate all the help and will certainly make that a point. I do Wednesday PM sailing on a J-30 and have had a bunch of small boats: Prindle, Vanguard, Sunfish, Hobie Tandem Island [Still have this one - - actually 2 of them], and others... So, right now, with the H34, everything is NEW.

Shannon Mooney

Last edited:
Nov 6, 2006
Hunter 34 Mandeville Louisiana
Congrats and again, Welcome!
I don't think that hose is a standard thing on the 34.. a "previous owner" mod, most likely.. unknown function unless he was dumping the shower bilge into the main bilge.. Dunno !

Jan 5, 2018
Ok. Thought that. But the hose is a loose fit in the hole. So maybe “pumping” to the main bilge at one time?

If that shower sump water ever got up to that hole, the water would have gone around the hose and hopefully?? flooded in the bilge.

Jan 24, 2017
Hunter 34 Toms River Nj
Shannon,
Welcome aboard!

Can't really tell by your pic . Can you take a few pics from multiple angles..
I'm an original owner of 1983 h34 and was able to see many of the phases of construction of my boat as it was built. My memory is not as good as it used to be but I don't recal anything connecting the two bilges together. Maybe and owner modification.

Jan 5, 2018
Robbie, that (the forward sump) is NO T a picture from my boat. Just used it as a reference. I’ll take a picture of mine on Sunday and repost.

splax

Nov 12, 2012
Hunter 34 Portsmouth
Might the lavatory drain have been rerouted to the shower sump? That area circled is at the forward part of the sump, how would is it going to the stern? My arrangement is different than the picture. I have a support piece for the passageway sole and the shower grate above the sump (a threshold for the shower space). Another possibility is the anchor locker drain has been rerouted to the shower sump. I think that is a poor modification if that is the case. That sump is only powered if the water pump is on if it works like my boat.

Jan 24, 2017
Hunter 34 Toms River Nj
Shannon,
Thought of a possibility of the hose in shower sump area.
The two forward lower compartments under the v-berth sometimes can accumulate water. I found after years of searching that the water accumulates from condensation in the summer months which can be quite annoying.
Another h34 owner drilled a hole and installed a hose fitting in this compartment and ran the hose to the shower sump area to drain the water that accumulates.

This was a bad modification because that sealed compartment was originally designed to be a forward collision bulkhead in case of a breach. With that modification water can now enter the rest of the boat.

To eliminate the condensation issue in the forward compartments all that is needed is a small fan to create air flow.

Jan 5, 2018
Thanks guys. I’ll definitely look at it by Monday and report back. Now that I know it’s a modification, I’m very interested as to it’s specifics. Shannon

pateco

Aug 12, 2014
Hunter 31 (1983) Pompano Beach FL
Have fun with your restoration, and keep us posted as you attack projects.

Mar 20, 2011
Hunter 31_83-87 New Orleans
You have a great boat for Lake Pontchartrain sailing and for going out to Ms. sound barrier islands. Also good racer for Wednesday nights. good luck with your projects and getting to know the boat.

Jun 27, 2004
Hunter 34 New Bern, NC
Hey MNMPizza,
Congrats on your boat and welcome to the forums. I also do not know what that conduit is, but I would suspect that it could be a wire chase going to a macerator pump, AC unit, vacu flush, or anything else that might need power in the head. Good chance that the PO removed whatever it was and put it on his new boat.

dakno

Jun 22, 2009
Hunter 41DS new orleans
Looks like a shower sump overflow/failsafe. Sump fills and as level rises drains into the main bilge , does sump operate? Congrats on the H34, fast boats. What is condition of your sails?

Jan 5, 2018
Looks like a shower sump overflow/failsafe. Sump fills and as level rises drains into the main bilge , does sump operate? Congrats on the H34, fast boats. What is condition of your sails?
I like it. That makes the most sense. And would save the floor from seeing water. The shower sump pump works great.

Jun 21, 2004
Beneteau 343 Slidell, LA
Shannon,

The two forward lower compartments under the v-berth sometimes can accumulate water.
that sealed compartment was originally designed to be a forward collision bulkhead in case of a breach.
My '88 Hunter 33.5 had the same forward compartment that always accumulated water, especially after a hard rain. Was filled with water when a pre-purchase survey was done and no one had a clue as to water the water originated. Took a few years and a lot of aggravation before I accidently discovered that the frp layups that the anchor locker drain hole penetrated through had delaminated. Every time it rained or I cleaned the anchor locker, the forward compartment would flood. Repaired the delamination and no more leaks.
Its been a long time since I had the 33.5; however, that drain hole in your photos might drain the forward compartment where the water tank is located. I don't recall the shower having a separate sump & pump; I think the gray water drained from the shower into the main bilge where the bilge pump was located. The layout of the 34 and 33.5 wasn't exact, but quite similar.
Congratulations on the new boat & welcome to the site!

Sep 4, 2007
Hunter 33.5 Elbow, Saskatchwen, Can.
Just to clear up a few things
"forward compartment where the water tank is located". Nope water tanks are in main cabin and stern.

"I don't recall the shower having a separate sump & pump"; Mine does.
Welcome to the site and enjoy your 34

Jan 5, 2018
Correct: Mine has a working shower sump pump and No water tank in the forward area... I'm going to 'reach out' to the original owner this week and see if he can clarify what it was used for. I'll report back...

Dec 14, 2003
Hunter 34 Lake of Two Mountains, QC, Can
One of the post mentioned the drain from the vanity sink. Mine has a hose that goes to a through-hull, but perhaps yours was rerouted to the shower sump ????

Jan 5, 2018
One of the post mentioned the drain from the vanity sink. Mine has a hose that goes to a through-hull, but perhaps yours was rerouted to the shower sump ????
After it was mentioned, I looked at this, but the vanity sink is "currently" draining straight out the hull...