1986 Oday 272 Nav lights

Jul 12, 2020
O'day 272 Inlet Watch Yacht Club
Jean and I were on our boat this weekend at the sellers slip. The dock power is not functional, so the seller provided a generator for lights and a fan. We turned on the nav lights, with the generator running and they worked. However the top of the mast light didn't work. The seller said that there is power at the fixture, and it probably just needs a bulb.
Question #1- What exactly are the regulations regarding the top of mast light??? FYI, the bow red and green both work and there is a white stern light that works as well. As I understand, we need the R/G forward nav lights, a top of mast, and a stern white light if under power. Is this correct?
Question #2- We never checked the nav lights without the generator running, because even at night , we had a box fan running since it was so hot... Not a good excuse, I know, but so be it. :banghead:Theoretically, they should run off the battery, right?
Question #3- What charges the battery if you are under sail?
Question #4- We have a 9.9 hp yamaha outboard. Does it have an alternator that charges the battery...or what DOES charge the battery when running under power?
Question #5- How would we know if we have enough power to run our lights at night for 12 hours? We plan to sail the Atlantic with a captain or motor the ICW if weather does not permit, so having these issues resolved is upmost in our minds...

Thanks so much for any guidance...

Jesse

May 1, 2011
Pearson 37 Lusby MD
As I understand, we need the R/G forward nav lights, a top of mast, and a stern white light if under power. Is this correct?
No. You need a steaming light (white) - that should be about 2/3rds of the way up the mast. The white light at the top of the mast is the anchor light. :beer:

Jan 7, 2011
Oday 322 East Chicago, IN
Hey Jesse,

Welcome aboard. A few answers:

1) when under Sail, you need the red and green bow lights, and the stern while light (Usually referenced as navigation lights). If motoring you need a “steaming“ light, as Kappy said...A white light, facing forward, about 2/3 Up the mast.
The navigation lights stay on even when motoring,

2) yes, navigation lights should run on the batteries. Best to check other circuits on the DC side and see if you have any power when not on generator or shore power. Maybe the bats are dead. Really want to check this before heading out. Do you know what sort of battery bank you have for the “house” power?

3) I don’t have any charging other than the alternator on my Diesel engine to recharge batteries when off shore power .
I have 2 group 27 batteries for my house and starting needs. I can run lights,Refrigerator, radios, etc. for a day or 2 on my 2 groupm27’s. If I am out longer, I need to run the engine some to charge the batteries.

Many people have solar panels installed to keep the batteries charged when sailing or At anchor for extended Periods of time. Others use wind generators.

4) Some outboards have small alternators, not sure about the one you have. Also not sure what battery the engine starts from...and if the alternator is enough to charge it. If you have a small dedicated starter battery, many it gets charged from the outboard. I doubt an outboard alternator would charge a larger multi-battery bank.

5) Battery systems can be complicated...understanding your battery bank, charging sources, loads, etc. probably cannot be detailed here (but you can share as much info as you have and I am sure many good folks will have suggestions). You may want to get a local marine expert to inspect your system, and make recommendations.

To answer you question, 12-volt systems usually should not be below about 10.5 volts charge. Batteries will still have enough juice to operate things, but it is hard on the batteries.

Do you have a Digital volt meter? This can give you a quick read on the state of charge of your batteries....

BATTERIES don’t last forever either...do you know how old yours are? They usually have a date label on the somewhere.

Best of luck with the new Oday. I hope you get many hours of enjoyment on her!

Cheers,

Greg

Jul 12, 2020
O'day 272 Inlet Watch Yacht Club
Hey Jesse,

Welcome aboard. A few answers:

1) when under Sail, you need the red and green bow lights, and the stern while light (Usually referenced as navigation lights). If motoring you need a “steaming“ light, as Kappy said...A white light, facing forward, about 2/3 Up the mast.
The navigation lights stay on even when motoring,

2) yes, navigation lights should run on the batteries. Best to check other circuits on the DC side and see if you have any power when not on generator or shore power. Maybe the bats are dead. Really want to check this before heading out. Do you know what sort of battery bank you have for the “house” power?

3) I don’t have any charging other than the alternator on my Diesel engine to recharge batteries when off shore power .
I have 2 group 27 batteries for my house and starting needs. I can run lights,Refrigerator, radios, etc. for a day or 2 on my 2 groupm27’s. If I am out longer, I need to run the engine some to charge the batteries.

Many people have solar panels installed to keep the batteries charged when sailing or At anchor for extended Periods of time. Others use wind generators.

4) Some outboards have small alternators, not sure about the one you have. Also not sure what battery the engine starts from...and if the alternator is enough to charge it. If you have a small dedicated starter battery, many it gets charged from the outboard. I doubt an outboard alternator would charge a larger multi-battery bank.

5) Battery systems can be complicated...understanding your battery bank, charging sources, loads, etc. probably cannot be detailed here (but you can share as much info as you have and I am sure many good folks will have suggestions). You may want to get a local marine expert to inspect your system, and make recommendations.

To answer you question, 12-volt systems usually should not be below about 10.5 volts charge. Batteries will still have enough juice to operate things, but it is hard on the batteries.

Do you have a Digital volt meter? This can give you a quick read on the state of charge of your batteries....

BATTERIES don’t last forever either...do you know how old yours are? They usually have a date label on the somewhere.

Best of luck with the new Oday. I hope you get many hours of enjoyment on her!

Cheers,

Greg
Hey Greg,

Thanks so much for the detailed responses. I am thinking the marine expert is the way to go.

Thanks again,

Jesse