1986 Newport 27-3 first boat

May 1, 2011
Pearson 37 Lusby MD
Yep, no obvious reason for the cut out in the cabin (yet). Tks for posting the photos you have.

Jul 19, 2013
Pearson 31-2 Boston
Sorry for the autocorrect. Winch slips, I'll have to research that.

I was wondering if leaving the splice end exposed would be not good? Maybe its fine.
FYI, that halyard has a wire-to-re splice in it. When the splice was new the wire should go perhaps 12" or so into the splice. You should be able to feel how much wire is still in the splice by flexing it. If the splice length is down to only 4" or so, its past time to replace the halyard as the splice is approaching a failure.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Tea Tree Oil
Careful in the use. It is not the greatest to be breathing in a confined space for some folk. Always best to use a respirator when cleaning mold and to air the space out after the cleaning has been done.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Nice work John
Are there any wires in the area? It may have been used to run wires from the mast. inside the boat. It may or may not have worked out and the hole was abandoned. You may get a clue when you get the mast off and remove the mast step so that you can assure no water can get in under the mast step.

Sep 8, 2020
NerwPort 27 Lakeshore Marina
Nice work John
Are there any wires in the area? It may have been used to run wires from the mast. inside the boat. It may or may not have worked out and the hole was abandoned. You may get a clue when you get the mast off and remove the mast step so that you can assure no water can get in under the mast step.
There are wires that at least go to a hopefully functioning mast light/deck light, and as far as I can see there is not an anchor light at the top (unfortunate). I'll know more as I explore the area around the mast step. Baby steps on this project!

Careful in the use. It is not the greatest to be breathing in a confined space for some folk. Always best to use a respirator when cleaning mold and to air the space out after the cleaning has been done.

All hatches open, all desires known! I've been working bow aft, so that I'm not constantly in a space. I leave the forward hatch open, but covered with plastic while I'm away. This has worked out very well in keeping the air circulating but rain out.

Sep 8, 2020
NerwPort 27 Lakeshore Marina
Sorry for the delay, work happened back full swing and its super busy!

Forward berth is clean, tea tree oil, much clorx wipes, simple green, vinegar, you name it. Its clean.

Discoveries: The water fill hose is just laying beside the water tank. The fill hole on the tank is capped off, but I can't figure out why. The fill hose is nasty, and needs replaced, but that seems like major deconstruction of the v-berth to get under the chain locker.

The tank is mostly clean. The water feed doesn't leak. The foot pumps leak much, but I got water to come out of the sink!
The shower pump is broken.

There is a seacock under the sink which is just plugged, connected to nothing.

The seacock which drains the sink seems to have a tiny leak at the valve - its plastic. It also has a T fitting that goes somewhere, which I believe is the sink in the head.

Removed the holding tank, will install composting toilet. Large gate valves/through hull still exist, but are 40 year old plastic so I didn't touch.

Forced all the cockpit drains open (full of leaves), and they drain now. Good!

So I have a few things to replace plumbing wise, and still need to sort electrics. Its at the point now where I'm not sure where the end is, or if I will ever finish!