1986 Hunter 31 deck caulking

Oct 10, 2010
HUNTER 31 LONG BEACH
I am removing and replacing mildewed deck caulking on each side of the hatch opening. Once removed it occurred to me that this looks more like a drainage trough and maybe shouldn’t have been caulked in the first place. Can anyone owning a similar boat confirm? See picture attached.
6D248B8B-4F68-4AF0-AB63-4BECE85DD728.jpeg

Attachments

Jan 4, 2006
Hunter 310 West Vancouver, B.C.
No, not a drainage trough. Just keeps crap from getting under the cover. I've bee considering cutting this stuff out ever since the boat was 5 years old.

My intention was to caulk it with white Dow Corning 795 which is the same caulk which goes around your fixed port and hatchlights. That stuff has remained grime free for 22 years now and still looks like new. Mind you, the port stuff is black and this will be white.

Still on the TO DO list.

Nov 6, 2006
Hunter 34 Mandeville Louisiana
Pretty much a cosmetic caulking.. The underside of the sea hood gets water that drains off the companionway slider and any that might come in from the openings where the halyards/mainsheet go. When it is caulked, any water getting into that groove would run off either end of the hood.. if not caulked, water going through the groove would end up under the hood and drain out the end of the halyard opening. It looks belter caulked and would prevent dirt and trash from lodging in the groove.