1986 Cal 28-2 Owner's Manual

Leenie

Jun 1, 2010
Cal sail cruiser Milford
My husband and I recently purchased a pristine 1986 Cal 28-2. The previous owners took impeccable care of her and we have tons of manuals but no owner's manual. We've found an old Cal 28 owner's manual but that's it. I've searched Lear Siegler, Hunt, and the obvious other searches but have found no owner's manual for the later Cal models. We absolutely love the boat and she sails beautifully and is fast (6.1 knots in 20+ winds with just the jib!).
Has any Cal 28-2 out there found a pdf fo r an owner's manual they can share. She has a Westerbeke 13 hp diesel and we wondered if that was standard equipment. It has over 2000 hours so we think it might be original equipment; we have all the books for the engine. One brochure I saw has her fitted with a Yanmar 18hp.
Thanks for your help.
A very delighted Cal 28-2 owner

Mar 22, 2010
Compac Horizon Cat Mobile Yacht Club
Did you ever find a Cal 28-2 owners manual?
I have one that came with my Cal 28-2.

Mar 20, 2012
Cal 34-III, MacGregor 25 Salem, Oregon
the most comprehensive site for Cal boats is here... it doesnt have it all, but it has more than any other collection of information that is available to the public.
if you have information that is NOT on there, it would be good to send a file of it to the guy so he can upload to the site, so others can share...

Jun 7, 2016
Cal 28-2 Little River, SC
This thread seems a bit old but I am also looking for a manual for a Cal 28-2. Seems to be a hard item to track down.
I recently purchased a 1987 Cal 28-2 that had been neglected for many years. I am bringing her back into shape and any help with the systems learning curve would be appreciated.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Congrats on your selection and decision to restore a Cal. They are great boats. I am busy with helping my Cal35C rediscover sailing. Here is a link that may help.
http://www.richardanderson.net/TechSavvy/CAL_BOATS.html
Not sure about your Cal28. I have my boat and have helped a friend with his Cal31. Centerline will kick some ideas in here. He has lots of experience with Cal Boats. There is also a sometimes used Cal boat forum here on SBO. Signup and share your ideas.

Jul 26, 2009
. . .
Capt Bill,

I haven't scanned/digitized ours yet but if I ever get around to it I'll post it here. FWIW, here is a link to the Cal 33-2 Owner's Manual. A lot of the systems and construction between the two are very similar and in comparing the 2 documents, so are the manuals. Measurements for running/standing rigging will be different as well as the mast type (keel vs deck stepped) so if you need any of that info just let me know.

http://www.melantho.com/cal332/Cal33-2OwnerManual.pdf

Here's the upper level page with index:

http://www.melantho.com/cal332/cal204.aspx

Jun 7, 2016
Berner73,
Wow! Thank you for the link. The Cal 33-2 manual will be extremely helpful in sorting out some systems issues. It is also helpful that you have compared the two manuals. That should take some of the second guessing out of the process. Fortunately, standing rigging was one of the few things that were OK with the boat so I shouldn't need that information any time soon, but thanks for the offer.

Jun 7, 2016
Berner73,
Thank you so much for taking the time to digitize and post the Cal 28-2 manual. I know it took some effort and I am grateful.

Mar 20, 2012
Cal 34-III, MacGregor 25 Salem, Oregon
Cal. The better boat!

:)
We sure like ours.
after the several attempts/designs of the same models, they finally got them right in the later boats.... built strong and seaworthy for offshore work. by then they were too expensive for their target market and so went out of business, as so many other manufactures did around the same period.
I believe if the early boats would have been designed as well and built as strong as the later boats, they would have sold many more of them.

Jun 7, 2020
Cal Cal 28-2 Chandlers Landing Marina
Went ahead and scanned in the 28-2 manual for everyone. Not ideal, but it's up on Dropbox for now. Trying to see if the Mods can host the file here on SBO instead of relying on a 3rd party location moving forward. Any issues, just let me know.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/xt489gyg042eir0/Cal 28-2 Owner's Manual.pdf?dl=0
I just acquired a Cal 28-2 and was hoping to download the manual you provided but I am having troubles. Could you offer some assistance? I am eager to learn all I can about the boat and am inspired by the other postings above. Maybe mine can be restored and be a jewel as well. (Yay!)

Jul 26, 2009
. . .
Kdpetroski, send me a PM with a valid email address and I'll fwd you the document. I don't have it with me now, but will put it on a jump drive next time I'm at that computer. Congrats on the new boat.