1985 pre-microwave-oven salon, I want to install a compact micro but space issues...

Jul 16, 2018
Hunter 40 Boston

https://imgur.com/gallery/nuB1jhX

It looks like the newer models put microwaves in the shelves, but mine are pretty shallow and I'd have to rip them out and install supports to make one fit. More work than I really want.

Instead, I am looking at that little corner of counter space between the vertical bar, the sink, and the ice chest. It's basically my most valuable real-estate in my galley, but such is life.

The problem is that a microwave won't actually fit there unless it stands on top of the ice chest. Even the super-compact .5ft^3 microwaves will be sitting on top of it.

The tentative solution I have in mind is to build a microwave stand. Basically mount 3 legs into the counter top and then mount a shelf on top of them maybe 4 or 5 inches higher. That way I can still open the ice chest, and maybe I could keep utensils or something underneath the microwave. My goal would be to remove the feet from the microwave and instead mount it directly to the shelf via bolts.

I'd put it at an angle so that the person sitting on the couch to the left doesn't crack their head on a corner. The left side of the micro would align with the angled countertop below it where it meets the shelves.

So my questions are:

1. Is that stupid?

2. If not stupid, is there a best way to do this? I am not sure where to find all the parts I need to make such a shelf/pedistal, but I have to believe it's possible.

3. Has anyone else found a better way to put a microwave into a ~40' Hunter?

Last edited:
May 24, 2004
CC 30 South Florida
How often do you use it? Small ovens can be stored in spaces out of the way to be taken out only when needed. I find those .5 cubic feet are only good to warm up coffee. Builders install them as they are small and can be made to look good in a permanent install. A larger, useful one could be stored and easily retrieved when needed.

Jul 16, 2018
Hunter 40 Boston
I can't imaging a good place to store a microwave oven on board. I've got dozens of cubbies, but few would fit a rectangular object of that size. And I'd be wanting to use it for regular meals once or twice a day. (liveaboard)

splax

Nov 12, 2012
Hunter 34 Portsmouth
the attached photo shows my microwave in the upper right recessed behind the icebox where I cut out the wine glass bulkhead. you could also hang the microwave from the jibsheet car track bolts in the overhead

Attachments

Jul 16, 2018
Hunter 40 Boston
True, I suppose I could carve a hole into the shelves behind. That'd let me recess it a bit. I'll have to look into that and see how much I like having those shelves.

Jan 24, 2017
Hunter 34 Toms River Nj
Take a look at the owner modification sect on this forum.
I did mine last year it's in the hunter 34 mod section, I had the same issue didn't want to lose any valuable counter space so I built a shelf and used dowels to support it. Check it out, it my give you some ideas to work with.

Jun 8, 2004
Hunter 49 60803 Lake Erie
limbodog
I had a 87 Hunter 40 and installed a microwave catty corner between between the sink and the shelf on the outboard starboard wall. Which is sort of what you are suggesting. I made a shelf with teak trim around the edge then cut down the trim on the outboard starboard wall shelve so that one side of my new shelf sat flat on the out board shelf, Then I added a stainless steel post under the other front corner of the new micro shelf that ran down to the counter. The inside back corner I supported on the existing mast chainplate rigging rod. I put screws up through the shelf in to the spots where the micro feet were to hold it in place. It left me all the counter space under the micro except where the small base of the stainless pole was. If you go to my profile page and look at the pictures of my 40 (Katawa Cay) you can see the micro in the back ground of one of the pictures. I am out of town currently but when I get home I'll see if I have some better pictures of the set up/project.

Last edited:
Dec 2, 1997
- - LIttle Rock
Fwiw, a super compact microwave is likely to be so LOW wattage (450-700) that that the length of time it would have to run to get anything even warm would be a huge power drain, not to mention more trouble to use it than it's worth. Try to find one that'll fit a workable space that's at least 1000w. Fwiw, put mine on a shelf behind a dinette seat...set it on the rubber "waffle" shelf liner and used quarter round around the bottom.Granted it was a powerboat, so we didn't heel much, but It did NOT move--even when the boat got tossed around by a monster wake.

You might see what's available in 12v...truck stops are good places to look. 12v appliances weren't worth their price last time I looked, but that was 10+ years ago, maybe even longer, so they may have improved quite a bit. Worth checking out anyway.

dinette after.jpg

--Peggie