1985 hunter 31 main sheet

Jun 11, 2015
hunter 31 charlotte, vt
i just purchase a hunter 31 and the mainsheet had been removed. can anyone tell me how the sheeting system is laid out....there are three single blocks on the boom, the block on the traveller and a loose block with a cam cleat.

thanks for your help

keith

Nov 6, 2006
Hunter 34 Mandeville Louisiana
Need some pictures, Keith.. The system may have been modified by a previous owner over the years.. I think original was rigged from a becket on the traveler fiddle block to a boom block, back to fiddle, then to another boom block and back to fiddle then to forwardmost boom block then forward to a block at gooseneck then down to a block on deck, through the organizer, through the tunnel and back to a cam cleat on the side of the companionway?
EDIT: Clarifying.. becket to middle boom block to top fiddle sheave to aft boom block to bottom fiddle sheave to forward boom block to gooseneck block to deck block to organizer to tunnel to side of companionway.

Welcome Aboard !

Last edited:

pateco

Aug 12, 2014
Hunter 31 (1983) Pompano Beach FL
Keith
Here's a picture of my main sheet. I think it's the original set-up.
The Harken set up is what I would like :D
My 1983 is set up like the second drawing with the fourth boom Pulley. I need to replace two of my sheaves as they are falling apart. May just replace the pulleys.

Nov 6, 2006
Or you can change the traveller block set to a triple with becket and cam cleat to eliminate the friction of three blocks and add your advantage to 6:1.. Picture is of my setup

Attachments

Jun 11, 2015
hunter 31 charlotte, vt
thank you all....i'll mess around a bit when i get to the boat next weekend after camping school.....thanks for the pics and diagrams.

keith

pateco

Aug 12, 2014
Or you can change the traveller block set to a triple with becket and cam cleat to eliminate the friction of three blocks and add your advantage to 6:1.. Picture is of my setup
I like this idea, that would free up a mast block, a sheave in the deck organizer, and a spot in the clutch. I could then add a new spinnaker halyard without having to change my organizer or clutch. I would still need to upgrade my cheek blocks to doubles.

How well does your triple block setup work?

pateco

Aug 12, 2014
This is the block that needs changing, and started my investigation of options.

Current system has a double on the traveler, going through 8 blocks including the deck block with a 3 to1 purchase.

I Like Kloudie1's Idea to change to a triple with cam at the traveler.

This would eliminate the friction of 4 blocks for me, and I like the idea of 6 to 1 purchase. I am seriously considering it, but the triple swivel with cam and becket is a pricy block.

Kloudie,

How easy is this to trim with 6 to 1 but no winch?

Nov 6, 2006
Pateco, the 6:1 is enough advantage that I don't need a winch to trim the main. The elimination of several sheaves decreased the friction so the 6:1 is fine and a lot more precise. The PO raced the boat and he had made the conversion. The boom blocks are all ball bearing blocks too..
I have sailed a couple of 34's with the original mainsheet setup and I like the 6:1 better.. Yup the triple with becket and cleat is expensive but helps with sail tweeking a lot.

pateco

Aug 12, 2014
Pateco, the 6:1 is enough advantage that I don't need a winch to trim the main. The elimination of several sheaves decreased the friction so the 6:1 is fine and a lot more precise. The PO raced the boat and he had made the conversion. The boom blocks are all ball bearing blocks too..
I have sailed a couple of 34's with the original mainsheet setup and I like the 6:1 better.. Yup the triple with becket and cleat is expensive but helps with sail tweeking a lot.
My current setup is slightly different that the one in Keiths picture

Mine also runs through the top sheave in the double fiddle block for the boom vang.

Changing to the triple with swivel becket and cam, cuts out 4 sheaves.

pateco

Aug 12, 2014
see pics of my 84 H31- 4 to 1 mainsheet. works great, even under load. hope this helps
So you have a double fiddle with cam swivel and becket on the traveler with a double fiddle on the boom at the central of the three outer boom attachment locations.

4 to 1 might be enough, but how hard is it to get the main sheet out of the cam to fall off under heavy wind loads?

Mar 20, 2011
Hunter 31_83-87 New Orleans
never had any issues with falling off or releasing the main sheet under load.

pateco

Aug 12, 2014
I bit the bullet, and Changed my Main sheet set up to a triple with cam and becket to three single blocks on the boom.

It made a huge difference. main trim is much easier, and it freed up my deck block and clutch so I can add a spinnaker halyard.

Nov 8, 2010
Beneteau First 36.7 & 260 Minneapolis MN & Bayfield WI
Nice mod. The sailing gods frown when they see a mainsheet in a clutch anyway.

pateco

Aug 12, 2014
Two of the three single blocks on the boom are still the original sleeve bearings, but I will probably change those out for roller bearings when the sheaves go bad.

Dec 28, 2014
Hunter 280 Mandeville, LA
The 280 is not a large boat but does have a big main so I just converted mine to the same setup shown in the schematic pictures. I used Garheaur ball bearing blocks (3) and a fiddle block on the car; it picked up one additional purchase from the stock version. I also added one purchase on the traveler with a small block on the car and dead ending the line at the outside turning blocks.
Brian