1985 Hunter 28.5 priced at $11,900 ???

Status
Not open for further replies.
J

Joseph

Will be looking at a 1985 28.5 Hunter on Saturday. It's listed for $11,900. I'm new at this. The price just seems to be too good to be true. Is that a typical price for a 1985 or should I be looking closely at anything in particular. Would appreciate any advice offered.

S

Steve O.

buyer beware

Seems too good to be true, and you know what that means. Could it be a Katrina survivor?

J

Joseph

Katrina Survivor

Steve, good question to ask. I appreciate the input.

S

Steve O.

Had one

I bought one in 1995 and paid $18,000 for it. I thought that was a good price then, especially for a freshwater boat. If the boat needs work, you'll have to decide if you want to take on a project boat.

B

bob G.

Do your homework

Do some research and get a feel for market price. Check this site for boats for sale, also try yacht world, boat trader, etc. If you are still unsure after you look, make any offer contingent upon a full marine survey, then you have an out after an expert has gone over the vessel if there are major problems you don"t want to tackle.........the more you look, the better informed you are

Dec 1, 1999
Hunter 28.5 Chesapeake Bay
The price of a boat

Is what someone is willing to pay for it. As an owner of a 1986 H28.5, I have been amazed at the relatively low resale prices of these great boats. The boat you mention is selling for what appears to be the low end of the price range for H28.5's. There could be a number of reasons -- good or bad -- for this. It may be that he owner just wants to be out of boating. It may be that the boat is really tired and may require a lot of work. In any event, read the 50+ reviews of this model boat on this site. Then read Don Casey's book about how to inspect an old boat, a great reference. If, after you do your own inspection the boat looks solid, have a professional surveyor look at it. Be there with him when he does the survey and ask lots of questions. I continue to believe that these boats are underpriced and undervalued in the market and it could be you could be buying a great boat at a really good price. I hope so.

R

Robert Gallagher

Same boat?

Joseph, I was also looking on the internet and saw a H28.5 in Houston (Kemah) for sale priced at 11900. Wonder if it is the same boat. I did an extensive search and found other boats similarly priced for thae same year model. I also am the one that posted the question here about the quality of these boats. I am very interested in what you find out. please let us hear from you if you look at this boat. There are some of us interested in finding a 28.5 to own. Thanks, Robert

J

Joseph

Same Boat?

Robert, thanks for the note. It may be the same. I'll see it up close and personal on Saturday and will let you know what I find. I also found that 28.5s similarly priced for the same year. Some up north were a little higher. I'm hoping that there's nothing major as I think this is just the right size for my wife and I. All kids are grown and gone.

D

Daryl

U get what U Pay 4

Older Hunters are generally good value for coastal applications but be prepared for leaks, rusty keels, leaks, rudder failure, and other design flaws. They retain their value less that other vessels for a reason

Jan 2, 2005
Hunter 35.5 Legend Lake Travis-Austin,TX
Move on Daryl...

the 28.5 is a great boat and very easy to maintain!!! Go beat another dead horse please!!! You have NO experience with a 28.5, you POS! Yes, an '85 is at the bottom of the model line and I would look VERY close at one priced that low. Would I let Daryl's opinion sway me? No, I think not!

Dec 2, 1999
Hunter Vision-36 Rio Vista, CA.
Here is a guide.

Price for this boat is $15,300 - 17,400. You can add 15-20% to this value if the boat is in bristol condition. This is from BUC.net. These are were great bay & costal boats and excellent values. Some people will make comments about the problems with these boats regardless if they have had experience with them or not. They have good resale. This era (1983-1987) retains about 60% of their original value if in good shape (not too bad for a 20 yr old boat. We just sold our 1985 H'31 for $24,000 I would be very leary of a boat that is selling this much under market. New engine $8000-12000, new interior $1000-1200, new sails $2500 - 3500, new instruments $500 - 1000. Not too good of a deal of all of these items are not in good to excellent shape.

J

Joseph

Will See

Honeyman/Steve, great advice! I'll see the vessel on Saturday and will write a brief note in the evening regarding what I see. Thanks for the input, it's been very helpful.

R

Robert Gallagher

Good luck

Good Luck on Saturday. I hope this turns out to be a good deal for you. One thing I have learned thru my research is that buying a boat is as stressful as buying a car. All I can advise is do your research, ask questions on this forum, and get a survey. If the boat is fit, the price is right, and YOU like it, to hell with everyone else....buy the damn thing. I have learned that boats, like cars, have brand loyalty. That is why when I asked my question on here about the H28.5, I was prepared for a lot of positives. I appreciated the feedback I got from some very honest owners. I got good and some "I wish this was different". Good luck and let us hear from you after the visit. Remeber, that was my first pick!!!!!!

J

Joseph

I Saw the H28.5 Today

Just wanted to submit an update for any interested. I was able to do a walk through of the 85 Hunter 28.5. It was obvious that the current owners haven't taken very good care of her. The cabin was dirty as was the engine. The sole needed some work. The deck and rigging seemed to be in good order, however. I had my curiosity satisfied and knew that this particular H28.5 wasn't the boat for me. Also, by the time I arrived, someone had already made an offer. Good luck to that person. Thanks again for all the great advice received.

R

Robert Gallagher

Thanks Joseph

Thanks for the follow up. Sorry the boat was not meant for you. Your's, like mine, is out there. Now I start my quest to sell my Catalina 22.

R

Robert Gallagher

Joseph, quick ?

One quick question to put my mind to rest.....was this boat "DREAM ON" ? It sure looked clean in the pictures.

J

Joseph

Dream On

Robert, yes, the boat was 'Dream On'. Inspite of some of the negatives, it still seemed to be a good buy unless something major would come up on a survey. After looking at it, my wife was really interested in having something with a little more room. Now, we're looking at 33' to 36' in length. If you're interested in Dream On, you can still place a second "pending" on it in case the first falls through. Let me know what you decide.

R

Robert Gallagher

Thanks Again

Thanks again Joseph. I had a hunch we were talking about the same boat. It looked pretty on the website. I need to sell my Catalina 22 before I seriously look at another boat. I wish I lived closer to the coast. There are not many boats for sell in the DFW area that fit my bill. I hate to think of the added costs of transport. Good luck on the search for your dream boat. You will know her when you see her. Robert

J

Jim

H28.5

Robert, What's your time frame for buying a new boat? We have one in DFW that I may be interested in selling over the next 12 months. Fully tricked out, fast, and excellent condition.

Status
Not open for further replies.