1985 Catalina 30 M-25 Transmission shifting

Mar 4, 2020
Catalina C 30 4292 Vancouver
So I just picked up this 1985 Catalina 30 with a Universal Diesel M-25 engine. The heat exchanger and the exhaust pipe, prior to the wet muffler, were both leaking sea water all over the engine. After cleaning it up a bit and unsticking the throttle cable we got it fired up, then noticed the leaks mentioned above. The Transmission cable was stuck just like the throttle cable, we disconnected it from the transmission and with some lube got it moving again, but the shifter arm (on the transmission) won't move when the engine is off.
So my question is, does the motor need to be running in in order to shift into forward and reverse?
I'm scared to test this as I'm in a marina and don't want to get the trans stuck in one position.
Thank you!

dmax

Jul 29, 2018
O'Day 35 Buzzards Bay
You should be able to shift into forward and reverse without the motor running.

Mar 4, 2020
Do either of you have any thoughts on giving it some encouragement with a hammer? The motor and transmission were running before they sat for 4 years so id assume it would be a bit of rust stopping that lever. If not I guess id be looking at pulling the tranny out?

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
Do either of you have any thoughts on giving it some encouragement with a hammer? The motor and transmission were running before they sat for 4 years so id assume it would be a bit of rust stopping that lever. If not I guess id be looking at pulling the tranny out?
I suggest you start looking through the link I gave you. One of the items is the details of the Hurth transmission, which will show you how it's built. I doubt if anyone here would answer your ? directly, I certainly won't encourage you to take a hammer to it, because that's not what I'd do for my engine. Some might encourage the use of PBBlaster but you should be very careful with PBB aroubnd the trransmission because PBB attacks the seals. Learn more about how it's built so you can be smart in what your next steps may be. Good luck.

dmax

Jul 29, 2018
O'Day 35 Buzzards Bay
What Stu said - don't pull out the hammer. It's possible that it's just the shaft that the shift lever rotates that is stuck because of the salt water rather than something internal - you may be able to fix it with some minimal disassembly without pulling the tranny.

Mar 4, 2020
Thanks guys just figured out how to get the transmission manual of your website @Stu Jackson really appreciate that link and the info about the PB blaster with the seals, I wouldn't have thought about that! @dmax I think you might be right It seems like there is a bearing that could need some cleaning behind the shifting lever.