1985 Catalina 27 Shoal Draft Keel

Status
Not open for further replies.
F

Finn

I am thinking of buying a Catalina 27 1985 model. It is a standard rig with a keel that is explained to me as the shoal draft model of a draft of 3' 5". I am told that it looks somewhat like an inverted " V ". Can anyone tell me more about this kind of keel and what it's performance is like? Pro's and con's?? How long is this keel from front to back of it? .. Thank you.

L

LaDonna Bubak - Planet Catalina

Wing keel

I don't think "inverted V" is an appropriate description. Go to our home page click on the links section. Go to the Catalin 27 Assn website. There's lots of info which might be useful to you. A wing keel looks more like an inverted T, if you ask me. Performance wise, you looking at a boat that doesn't point as well, though it probably isn't that much of a difference unless you're racing. You'll also be able to get into shallower water, so that expands your cruising grounds. LaDonna

R

Ron Chandler

Great boat for shallow waters...

I sail in Utah on a lake that has been notorious for shallow water. It is a natural lake and the deepest part is 12 feet. Most of the lake runs between 11 and 9 feet early in the season. The entrance to the harbor is a mere 5-6 feet. Mostly silt for the next foot, but we learn to plow through it! You can see the value of another foot less of draft. I have raced against the wing keel and she sails very well. Just don't stick one in the mud, you can't heel her over to "unstick". Enjoy!

P

Peter

Shoal Keel

I have an older (1977) Cat27 with the "shoal"keel you describe. Mine does flare out at the bottom with a pretty thick chunk of lead (almost a foot wide and 4 or 5 feet long). Though It does not appear to be very fast our boat actually sails upwind pretty well. I was really dubious about this design but we were pleasently surprised. Also the boat seems very stable too. Unless you're racing I would not be concerned.

Status
Not open for further replies.