1984 O'Day 26 Mast Compression Damage

Status
Not open for further replies.
May 17, 2013
Oday 26 Louisville, Ky
Got some spider cracking on the deck near tabernacle from apparent mast compression (see photo). I have seen discussions of the repair process which included deck repair, replacement of underlying wood and jacking up the interior cabin. I can only have the deck repaired and I assume this is a cosmetic fix. There is no apparent damage to the support post or cabin cealling. Question: what will this repair accomplish? Any long -term use for doing this?
Any comments appreciated.

Attachments

Sep 25, 2008
Oday 25 Gibraltar
Is it just spider cracks or is the area under the mast depressed at all? When you take the mast down the next time it would be a good idea to inspect the area under the tabernacle for any kind on water intrusion.

May 17, 2013
Oday 26 Louisville, Ky
Is it just spider cracks or is the area under the mast depressed at all? When you take the mast down the next time it would be a good idea to inspect the area under the tabernacle for any kind on water intrusion.
Deck is depressed about 1/2 to 1 ". Also the cabin ceiling seems a little indented. Hard to measure.

Jan 24, 2005
Oday 222 Dighton, Ma.
My friend Ray in the YC owns an 86 O'Day 26 and I've never really paid much attention to the compression post that supports the mast down below if it has one. It might be a good idea to check the area under the sole plate which could be soft and spongy even if it meant installing a deck plate in that area.

May 17, 2013
Oday 26 Louisville, Ky
Problem is I can't get that extensive of a repair locally. Probably not a DIY job for me. They only want to repair spider cracks, add some new glass and match color. What's the long-term consequence of this issue without proper repair?

Jan 24, 2005
Oday 222 Dighton, Ma.
Problem is I can't get that extensive of a repair locally. Probably not a DIY job for me. They only want to repair spider cracks, add some new glass and match color. What's the long-term consequence of this issue without proper repair?
I think that the problem will reoccur. Can you take a few pictures of the area under the mast inside the cabin and post it for us?

I think you're selling yourself short. You don't have to be an expert to fix this. I'm kind of hack when it comes to doing Fiberglas repair but I usually can get through it the best I can. I've never been good at doing Gelcoat repair. At least try to study this problem and take your time and think it through. You may surprise yourself and come up with the proper fix.

Good luck!
Joe

Sep 25, 2008
Oday 25 Gibraltar
Yep, that's what mine did. There is a plywood core under the mast and water has gotten into it. The core is 1/2" thick and rotted. Around the Plywood core is a balsa wood core and the water has probably spread a ways into that too. Don't take it personal most Odays of this age has the same problem. It has to be fixed. I fixed mine twice. The first time I didn't go far enough away to get it all. i had never done much glass work before this but like Trinkka said it's doable and it's a good time to start learning some repair skills. You'll need them or find someone that can show you or can do the repair for you.
Mine looked like this. It probably would have sunk down more with the mast up.

After cutting it away

I filled it in with fiberglass and epoxy then covered and smoothed it over with "Evercoat 27".

It looked good but it wasn't good enough. I thought that even though I didn't get into the surrounding area that was still wet with water it would work because it had the compression post under it. Silly me. Though the post held up the tabernacle one side started sinking so the next winter I did more extensive repairs.
I cut open a wider area

I left the center in because it was now solid glass and to keep the location of the bolt holes. I filled in the whole area with glass mat and cloth. It fills up fairly quickly and covered with Evercoat 27

Welcome to the world of 'Good Old Boats'

Jun 3, 2004
Oday and Catalina O'Day 25 and Catalina 30 Milwaukee
I had a water intrusion problem at the mast step of my O'Day 25. When the mast was down, I pulled the plate and found wet wood on the screws. So I drilled little pilot holes outward until I found dry wood. I then used a small pneumatic circular saw to cut the top layer of skin off in two pieces and saved them. I got all the wet wood dug out and then built up fiberglass matting using West System epoxy. (Luckily RBone had posted his experience before I encountered the problem so I took a lot of guidance from him). The last layer was just epoxy and I used that to reattach the outer skin. Then, similar to RBone, I used Evercoat 27 to fill in the gaps. It wasn't perfect but overall it turned out pretty good.

http://forums.oday.sailboatowners.com/album.php?albumid=2158&pictureid=13851

This is a little time consuming but it can be done in a couple of weekends. Now it's rock solid and you won't have to worry about the structural integrity of the rig.

Good luck,

Dave
s/v Lagniappe
O'Day 25

May 17, 2013
Oday 26 Louisville, Ky
Thanks

Thanks for all the comments. Any others would be appreciated. Now I know what I'm in for. Good Old Boat, indeed!

Sep 25, 2008
Oday 25 Gibraltar
Whatever you decide to do you can get lots of support and info on this forum. We can help you through most any problem.

Jan 24, 2005
Oday 222 Dighton, Ma.
I'm thinking that maybe the problem could be in the cabin but I could be wrong about that. As Rich pointed out the problem could be core damage due to water intrusion under the hinge tabernacle. This is more of a common occurrence with these boats including my 222. Only, on my 222 I can see the bolts sticking down from the tabernacle inside my cabin. I have a fabric headline. Anytime I had a leak coming in from around the threads of those bolts I've either was able to find a small wet spot on my V birth, or I would suddenly awaken one rainy night by drops of water on my forehead.
Now this may not be the case on the O'Day 25 or 26 so I'm told. You may have a leak at the tabernacle and never know it. So what is the solution and how can you seal this particular area after you have made your repair?
I went to this site for that solution. http://forums.macgregor.sailboatowners.com/showthread.php?t=117172 Countersinking the holes in the fiberglass and using Butyl Tape for this particular project was what I chose to do.

One important thing to keep in mind before you start digging away at the core is this:

The Tabernacle needs to be placed back in the exact spot on the cabin top as you see it right now. It would behoove you to mark up some reference points that will allow you to do so.

To be perfectly honest with you I've never had to do a repair like this thank the good Lord for small favors, but I've done almost everything else being a frugal Geezer who has always worked on boats in his yard. All you need to do is plan the project, get the materials, and get her done.

In the words of my favorite frontier hero Davy Crockett, "Be sure you're right, and then go ahead."

Jun 29, 2010
Beneteau First 235 Lake Minnetonka, MN
How timely as I have to do this on my 25 as well. The halyard blocks are sinking in a bit so I figure I better just cut the skin off and recore, going to use plywood as it is what I have. CPES and West are my friend on this. Don't want to be on the lake and have the mast step start sinking and digging in.

Status
Not open for further replies.