1984 Johnson 6hp outboard help

Status
Not open for further replies.
May 26, 2013
catalina c22 C30TR Winthrop Harbor Marina
I have a new to me Catalina 22 that came with a Johnson 1984 6hp sea horse that I am having issues with. It runs great when I get it started, but getting it started is hit or miss and I don't know the starting setting and I have to move the throttle little by little until it starts.

I don't know the operation and can't really find the info on line. I got a downloaded service manual that covers advanced taking it apart. I have simple questions.

I don't know what the starting position is on the throttle as the decals are pealed off. Also the kill button has a ribbed twist switch around it and I have no idea what it does. I just fixed the starter cam with some JB weld as the top cracked off.

Thanks in advance.

Jan 3, 2009
Marine Trader 34 Where Ever I am
We have a 98 6HP and it starts every time but the throttle needs to be at about 1/2 and the choke needs to be out. As soon as it starts, the choke needs to be pushed in and the throttle back to idle immediately. It's a standard routine but works every time. Chuck

Oct 26, 2005
- - Satellite Beach, FL.
I sold a '96 yesterday and starting was just as Chuck described.
On the grip you see an indented line and a dimple, try it with the dimple at top dead center in relation to the tiller arm. If that doesn't work try with the line in that position.
Check the plugs, clean if needed and elevate the fuel line so that gravity helps feed until the fuel pump is doing it's job.

Mar 20, 2012
Cal 34-III, MacGregor 25 Salem, Oregon
the ribbed knob on the end is one of two things.... its either an idle stop, so you can set the idle higher or lower so when you return the twist grip to closed, it will stop it at a predetermined idle...
or its an adjustable clutch that you can set for the amount of pressure you want on the twist grip, so it stays where you set it...
some motors have it set up one way, and some have it set up the other way....

May 26, 2013
Thanks you all! This helps so much! I wish I could order a replacement decal or make one of my own but I have been searching the net for hours trying to find one. I'll just mark it with paint or something

Oct 26, 2005
- - Satellite Beach, FL.
I found that logos (and lettering) are cheap from sign making shops, just need the image in the right format.
They load the image and print on adhesive backed vinyl.
I got my state registration numbers for less than the cheap looking ones from Ace hardware.

edit: flames would be cool!

Mar 20, 2012
Cal 34-III, MacGregor 25 Salem, Oregon
Thanks you all! This helps so much! I wish I could order a replacement decal or make one of my own but I have been searching the net for hours trying to find one. I'll just mark it with paint or something
they are still available new from the johnson/evinrude repair shop.... the whole plastic shroud comes off and is replaced with a new one. around $17.....

May 27, 2012
Oday 222 Beaver Lake, Arkansas
The knob on the end of the tiller is slow idle speed adjustment. Its not real critical where you put the twist grip to start, just a bit above idle should do. Full choke and as soon as it fires push the choke in, or at least far enough to keep it running. There is a starter interlock built into the throttle, if you twist too far you wont be able to pull the rope.

Your motor has an idle (slow) speed fuel mixture at the front that you can adjust after its warmed up. Adjust it with it in forward gear, just slightly above its slowest speed. Turn it in slightly (clockwise) to achieve highest speed, then 1/10 to 1/18 back slowly, just enough that it drops speed ever so much. You can play with it a bit, try to get it so you can rapidly twist it wide open from idle without it stalling.

Mix fuel at 50:1, not 100:1 or even 75:1. All the motor manufacturers reverted back to 50:1 after seeing all the destruction. Ive read some saying 40:1 is an even better choice. Use ethanol free fuel if its available, if not, add some sta-bil to it.

Aug 15, 2012
Precision 21 Newburyport MA
I had a 88 johnson with the markings worn off. I thought about making a label. Included is the best photo of one I could find on the internet. I ended up buying the part pictured on ebay, they show up occasionally. I never got around to installing it because I sold the motor and gave them the part as well. You need to remove the twist grip to replace it. If you are going to maintain this engine, I also would suggest getting the factory service manual, again slightly used ones turn up on ebay.

Attachments

May 26, 2013
Thanks guys I got it running and found it actually "clicks" into the starting position. It just idles rough and takes some time to start. The JB weld did not hold the top of the starter cam on though it still started. I may get some new spark plugs and see if that helps

Jul 28, 2010
Boston Whaler Montauk New Orleans
Run a few cans of Sea Foam through it as well. It will clean out carbon deposits and may help it run a bit smoother.

Status
Not open for further replies.