1984 Hunter 37c conversion to sloop

Mikem

Dec 20, 2009
Hunter 466 Bremerton
My daughter has a 1984 Hunter 37c. What is involved to convert it to a sloop? If the baby stay is removed does that affect the structural integrity of the mast? Thanks.

Joe

Jun 1, 2004
Catalina 27 Mission Bay, San Diego
Is your idea of conversion to a sloop just removing the inner forestay? I'd say no, but if you're worried about mast support you can install an actual baby stay. Which is a small forward stay, not meant to support a sail, but meant to help bend the mast.
Be aware that the geometry of a cutter rig will be a little different from a sloop... the mast may be placed further aft, for instance, and the boom may be shorter. Many cutter rigs will have a sprit. The intent of such a rig is to spread the sail plan a little more laterally... and thus easier to handle with a few extra options.. Things cruisers enjoy.

If your daughter's having problems handling the headsail because of the inner forestay, there's a technique and a remedy. The technique is to allow the headsail to slide against staysail, controlling the sheet rather than casting it off, until the forward part of the sail finds its way through the gap between the stays. The remedy, when the technique is balking, is to install a cringle on the foot of the headsail about 50% back from the luff. A control line is tied to the cringle and run to a small block at the stem head, then back to the cockpit.... this allows the crew to pull the front half of the sail up into the gap and bring the clew/sheet past the inner forestay. Good luck.

Nov 8, 2007
Hunter 27_75-84 Sandusky Harbor Marina, Ohio
Joe got it right. The best way to do it is sell the 37c, and buy a Cherubini 36.

The 37c was designed by John Cherubini as a cutter. Even if you hired a designer to help you with all the adjustments to convert to a sloop, some changes (mast position, and height, for instance) will be quite expensive. Also, John Cherubini was a master designer, and probably fit the 37c together in ways that a good designer might miss. And would end up with a reduced resale value when she sells the boat.

I‘d love to cruise a 37c, although it’s far more room than the Admiral and I need. Learning how to best sail the design we have (shoal draft Cherubini 27) is part of the fun for me.

Nov 21, 2012
Yamaha 33 Port Ludlow, WA
Have to chuckle. My daughter loves the layout, full enclosure and it’s superb handling qualities. What do you have?
Was kidding (a little). I truly do admire the 37c. To my eye, everything about it looks "right". It just might be my next boat when I'm ready.

I have a Yamaha 33 tall rig now that I love. Really fun to sail in a wide range of conditions. Built super strong. It also has a look that I find appealing, but it's not for everyone. Those that have them really appreciate them.

Mikem

Dec 20, 2009
Hunter 466 Bremerton
Was kidding (a little). I truly do admire the 37c. To my eye, everything about it looks "right". It just might be my next boat when I'm ready.

I have a Yamaha 33 tall rig now that I love. Really fun to sail in a wide range of conditions. Built super strong. It also has a look that I find appealing, but it's not for everyone. Those that have them really appreciate them.
Roger that. I like my daughter’s boat too. More importantly, she does too. If the sloop conversion was an easy thing we might give it a try.

Nov 21, 2012
Yamaha 33 Port Ludlow, WA
Roger that. I like my daughter’s boat too. More importantly, she does too. If the sloop conversion was an easy thing we might give it a try.
Like others have said, Mr. Cherubini seems to know his business. I'd think long and hard before making an irreversible change.