1984 Hunter 34 roller furler

Nov 4, 2012
Hunter 34 Mattapoisett
Hello sailors, planning on replacing my hank on system to a roller furler on my hunter 34, any recommendations?

thank you

Mario

Feb 21, 2013
Hunter 46 Point Richmond, CA
Lots of manufacturers to choose from including Furlex systems – Seldén Mast AB (seldenmast.com), Harken, Schaefer, Ronstan, Pro Furl, WICHARD GROUP | FACNOR USA | FACNOR AUSTRALIA | FACNOR.FR and Flexible Furlers — Cruising Design International (sailcdi.com) to name a few. My Hunter 386 had and Hunter 46 has a Selden Furlex jib furler and works well.

Check with the manufacturer on sizing, system requirements, installation and a manual. In the meantime, you might find these articles helpful on selecting roller jib sail furler system: How to: Choosing a Furling System - Sail Magazine AND Roller Furling system - MyBoatsGear.com

Last edited:
Nov 6, 2006
Hunter 34 Mandeville Louisiana
My PO installed a Harken system back in 1985 and it still works well today so I am kinda partial to Harken.. That being said, I have no real experience with any of the other brands..

DougM

Jul 24, 2005
Beneteau 323 Manistee, MI
I had a Profurl that was original to the boat. I always felt it was undersized for the boat even though it was adequate. Changed to a Harken furler and just like it more. Personal preference is all.

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
Compare features, too. I have a ProFurl that I sized properly for my boat (LCI32). One of the festures of the ProFurl system is the built-in Wrap Stop above the top swivel, meaning you do not need a halyard restrainer. If you don't know what a halyard restrainer is, do some research. I've had mine since 2003 flawless.

sail sfbay's options cover the gamut, although some systems could be considered too light for a boat your size.

Good luck, happy hunting.

Dec 14, 2003
Hunter 34 Lake of Two Mountains, QC, Can
Have had the Profurl NCI 32 on my boat since 2001. Approaching 35000 miles of navigation since then and only now do I have to change the Top Swivel bushing kit when the season is over. An expense of less than $30 ! I did change the headsail twice since having purchased the boat.