1984 H31 Water tank top repair

Feb 6, 2013
Hunter 31 Deale, MD
Maybe a 1/4" to spare. The baffle doesn't to be tight enough to seal; just close enough to keep it vertical.

Reg M

May 21, 2016
Hunter 31 Montague
Well I finally finished this project a couple of weeks ago. I forgot to take a photo of the baffle I made but I used several layers of fibreglass cloth as well as fibreglass matt. The end product was about 5/16 in thick and I put two or three coats of gelcoat, sanding between coats. The final coat was sanded then polished a bit with 3M polishing compound. I used 3M 4200 to bed the cover, using a couple of pieces of narrow boards across the tank to set the cover on after applying the sealer to the tank lip. After it was in place on the boards I carefully removed one board and allowed the top to sit down on the sealant then removed the other board. I had filled all the problem screw holes with epoxy mixed with microballons then redrilled them when the top was in place. I did have a problem with the new inspection port top leaking and was unable to find an O ring which was slightly larger than the one that came with it so I used some permatex (very sparingly) on the O ring which solved the problem and I think I cane easily get it open when I need to. After all this I filled the tank again and found I still had a small leak from one of the hold down screws which was stripped so I replaced it with the next size screw and used some 4200 on it and that solved that problem. Here is a photo of the finish product.
IMG_0133.JPG

Jan 24, 2009
1981 Cherubini Hunter 27 Shipwright Harbor Marina, MD
Thanks for the description and photo, those will be some good tips to keep in mind when I do mine.