1984 h27 Masthead light bulb size

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 22, 2008
Hunter 27_75-84 Wilmington, NC
Several months ago I asked if anyone knew the size/model of the masthead light bulb for the h27. No one knew and someone suggested I report the size if/when I found. After a long summer with no anchor light, I finally paid a marina hand to climb the mast and replace. Originally I had planned to just replace the bulb with an LED, but since I could not determine what LED bulb to have on hand and since the existing fixture is like 27 years old, I decided to go with a new LED fixture (Seasense LED Mast Lite - 4 inch). The original fixture is a Perko and it rests on a 5 " stainless steel pedistal on top of the mast. The original bulb is a 1416 (see pic). The pedistal (pic 1) is round on top with 3 hole for nuts and bolts to hold the light. The base of the pedistal is oval that is attached to the top of the mast by 2 machine screws. The fixture is shown in Pics 2, 3, 4, 5. To attach the new fixture to the pecistal, it was necessary to drill one new hole, as original 3 holes did not match new fixture. As far as an LED replacement bulb, the nearest seems to be the Dr. LED GE90 Star, although I'm not sure there is enough room (height) for LED in the original fixture. Hope this helps some of you.

Attachments

MrUnix

Mar 24, 2010
Hunter 23 Gainesville, FL
I think the lack of a response to your first query is due to very few H27 owners having replaced the bulb lately and the fact that older boats tend to wind up with lots of non-factory replacements, so may be different than yours. The light on my H27 had been replaced with a unit that took a BA15 socketed bulb (standard 12v 1156 automotive bulb). Yours was probably (maybe) original and has a BA9 socket (minature 12v auto bulb).. and now, if I'm reading your post right, now your H27 has a non-factory fixture and eventually an LED bulb as well :D Same type socket?

Sometimes you just gotta go and look at the darn thing to figure it out ;)

Cheers,
Brad

May 24, 2004
CC 30 South Florida
Wise decision to replace the fixture with an LED one. With all the replacements in these old boats the chances on getting a correct answer for the size of bulb were not very good.

Nov 21, 2008
Hunter 27 Cadle reek
Thanks for the update.
I have not gotten around to work on mine, so I can now get the correct bulb before I do.

May 24, 2004
CC 30 South Florida
rbietry, you may not have been listening. Many of these close to 30 year old Cherubini models may have had the anchor light fixture replaced throughout the years. I don't think Hunter Marine keeps records of the fixtures in use back then and the current boat owners likely do not know if their fixtures are original or not. There is only one way to be certain that you will get the correct bulb and that is to go up the mast and retreive the one up there. I know bulbs are inexpensive but it could be a major source of agravation if you are doing the job and have to stop because of a wrong bulb size. It could also be incorrect to anticipate that a non working fixture is due to a burned out bulb, it could be due to corrosion in the socket and terminals or due to faulty wiring. With today LED fixtures whcich are brighter, last longer and consume a fraction of the power it is recommended that the whole fixture be replaced.

Nov 21, 2008
Hunter 27 Cadle reek
I know, but taking photos with a telephoto lens indicates it could be the original light. In any case, I plan on going up the mast with
a replacement bulb and replace it if I can. Off the old one is not fixable, I will drop the mast in the spring and re-wire for a combined anchor/tricolor LED.

Status
Not open for further replies.