1984 Catilina 22 mast

Feb 18, 2020
Catalina 22 Oakdale ny
Hi Looking for help/info on our 1984 Catalina 22. We recently acquired the boat with a mast with 3- 2x4 holes cut into it for supports to fit in it during storage and shrink wrap . .. yup- ouch !! looking for a new replacement mast or any help you can offer... thanks!

Jan 19, 2010
Hobie 16 & Rhodes 22 Skeeter Charleston
Oddly I just saw a mast on Craigslist yesterday while looking for something else...
Do a CL search in the Cairo GA area. I don't know how far you are willing to drive but people put masts and other sailboat parts on CL all the time.

Feb 18, 2020
Catalina 22 Oakdale ny
Oddly I just saw a mast on Craigslist yesterday while looking for something else...
Do a CL search in the Cairo GA area. I don't know how far you are willing to drive but people put masts and other sailboat parts on CL all the time.
thank you! that's awesome!

Feb 18, 2020
Catalina 22 Oakdale ny
yes, some crazy thought it would be a good idea to use the mast to hold up the shrink wrap and cut 3 holes to keep the 2x4 in place.

Attachments

Jan 19, 2010
yes, some crazy thought it would be a good idea to use the mast to hold up the shrink wrap and cut 3 holes to keep the 2x4 in place.
OMG!

1582130109323.png
... that is disgusting!!!!

Back to finding a new mast. It is not hard to drill out the rivets of the end caps and other needed hardware and then to pop rivet them back in place. So finding a mast that is a little to long is okay so long as the diameter is right. Used masts are regularly on eBay and Craigs list. So if you find one, simply cut it to the right length and then put the end cap onto the new piece. You will want to cut from the top so that the slotted groove for your sail bolt rope (or slides) is still in the right place.... or you may need to cut some on both ends to get it right.

Feb 18, 2020
Catalina 22 Oakdale ny
ok, so by "diameter" you mean, fits correctly on the boat and matches the one I have?

Jan 19, 2010
ok, so by "diameter" you mean, fits correctly on the boat and matches the one I have?
Yes

And you should be able to reuse all of your standing rigging and tangs so keep the old mast as a template and reuse the hardware. The only thing that will limit what mast you use (besides diameter) is the location of the slot in the sail track. You will want that to be in about the same place so that the gooseneck can be put in about the same place so the height of the boom off of the deck is in about the same place. An inch or two won't matter much but you will still need to hoist the sail to full height and you also don't want your boom to sit on your cabin top.... so...

A slightly taller mast might actually have a few advantages. You could fit a slightly larger sail (but that has disadvantages as well) or you could raise your boom a little if needed... but a taller mast will make some bridges a hazard so... everything is a trade off.

Aug 2, 2011
Newport 30 MKIII Madeira Beach, FL
Catalina Yachts Inc is still in business in Largo, FL and may be able to help you. Whether they still have masts to fit a 1984 C22 I can't say. I think there were two different masts used on the 22, one oval shaped (flat on the sides) and the other elliptical shaped (curved on the sides). If you find a mast with the matching profile and it is too long it can be cut down. Howerver, there are several considerations to cutting. You will want to make sure the spreader brackets mount at the same height above the deck as the old mast or your shrouds may not fit.

Jan 19, 2010
One more place to look for a mast... (if you have the room) is an old neglected Catalina 22

There are always people practically giving away an old rotten boat. Keep it around for spare parts. ???

May 17, 2004
Beneteau Oceanis 37 Havre de Grace
More importantly that it fits than matching what’s there, if you have to choose between the two. Who knows if the cut up one is actually the original, or just something the cutter-upper found laying around and figured would make a good ridge beam.

Sep 22, 2018
Hunter 216 Kingston
Hi Looking for help/info on our 1984 Catalina 22. We recently acquired the boat with a mast with 3- 2x4 holes cut into it for supports to fit in it during storage and shrink wrap . .. yup- ouch !! looking for a new replacement mast or any help you can offer... thanks!
Welcome to the SBO forums!

Lots of useful info on this site especially within the Catalina area. Although the 2x4 holes are “unique” ;)

You might also want to check this site.