1984 Catalina 38

Status
Not open for further replies.
B

Bruce

Hi Catalina owners, I am considering buying a 1984 Catalina 38, however I haven't been able to find out any information on this model. Hopefully you can help me out. Is there anything I should be concerned about with this model and year? My plans are to sail her down south for a year or so with my wife and five year old, is this the boat for us? Any information would be more then welcome. Thank you in advance. Bruce. email address- bruce.feaver@cica.ca

R

Rodney

Owned One

I owned a 1985 Cataline 38, hull number 297. As Stu suggested, go to the website. Also, try signing up on the Sailnet C-38 e-mail list at http://list.sailnet.net/read/?forum=c38 Generally, the C-38 is pretty bullet proof but you need to have your surveyor look at the backstay chainplate attachement for dry rot, the mast step for dry rot, and the upper shroud attachment points where they are glassed to the hull. These boats are approaching the point in their lives where major systems may be reaching the end of their usefulness. The 84 model will have a Universal 2454 diesel installed. This 3 cylinder engine is great if it has been maintained properly. Early models of this boat also had hardwood laminated into the base of the keel sump. I don't think Catalina was doing that in the 84 year model but a call to Catalina with the hull number could clear that up for you. That being said, these boats sail! Especially upwind. I now have a C-42, and there are times when I miss the sailing characteristics of the 38. Good luck.

P

patrick

go for it

I've got a 79 and love it!, Get a good survey, mine had all sorts of issues but I got a good deal and I've fixed everything on my own. If you have any specific questions feel free to hit me at wsk8r@hotmail.com.

Status
Not open for further replies.