1984 Catalina 27 floor board under the stairs. Mine is missing. Ideas for replacement? Thanks.

Jan 7, 2011
Oday 322 East Chicago, IN
Temporarily, you could cut a piece of plywood or other material to fit the hole. It won’t match the others, but no one will twist an ankle coming down the steps.

You may be able to find a piece of teak and holly sole board at a nautical flea market and cut the replacement out of that so it matches.

Lastly, assuming there are only a few small floor boats like that, you could find some other wood you like, and just make new floor boards that match and just replace them all.

Whatever you do, you should varnish them on all sides to seal the wood.

Greg

May 7, 2023
catalina 27 lake st clair
Thank you. Regarding the teak and holly sole board that is in the photo, (not the missing piece) is that likely marine plywood with a teak laminate?

May 7, 2023
Also the floor board (I think sole is the same term as floor board?) in the photo which is about 5 feet long, is slightly warped so it never really sits flat. Is there a way to fix the warp?

Jan 7, 2011
Thank you. Regarding the teak and holly sole board that is in the photo, (not the missing piece) is that likely marine plywood with a teak laminate?
Yes, I would think it laminate of some sort (pretty thin) over marine ply.

Greg

Jun 8, 2004
Catalina 320 Dana Point
It's 3/8 " plywood with a thin teak and holly veneer, last 4X8 piece I bought was $300 about 10 years ago.

Jan 7, 2011
Also the floor board (I think sole is the same term as floor board?) in the photo which is about 5 feet long, is slightly warped so it never really sits flat. Is there a way to fix the warp?
Pretty hard to straighten the board I think…that one in particular is pretty long and narrow. It may be possible to steam it, and clamp it between two thicker, straight boards and see it is holds flat. But my money is on it warping anyway. It should be sanded to remove whatever varnish is on it (particularly the bottom) so it takes the steam. But it seams like a lot effort (making a steamer, etc) for poor odds of it staying flat.

For those little bits of sole, I might be thinking about some sort of vinyl laminate over a piece of ply you could make yourself.

Greg

May 7, 2023
The companionway doors need a new finish. Should I strip the inside even though its fine and redo both sides? Or leave the inside and only do the outside? I don't mind extra work, I just want to do it the proper way. Also I was planning on using Sikkens Cetol Marine on all my teak.

Attachments

Jan 7, 2011
I would probably do both sides, and that way you know what is on it…Sikkens cetol is not exactly like varnish….more like a stain. That way inside and outside will be the same.

Greg

Oct 3, 2011
Anam Cara Catalina 310 Hull #155 155 Lake Erie/Catawba Island
I would do what Greg said and make a template and place it on some marine plywood and put a piece of teak and holly veneer on it!
You may search the Gear Ads on this forum for a small piece of Veneer!
Good Luck

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
I recently bought a product in Seattle from Crosscut Hardwoods.
They call themselves the Woodworkers Candy Store.
The product is called Hydroteck.
Hydrotek BS-1088
Our Hydrotek has Keruing faces are used for both aesthetic beauty and high impact strength, while the core is comprised of Meranti to maintain the strength and durability to weight ratio. Hydrotek marine Keruing is manufactured with more ply’s than traditional marine plywood produced in North America to ensure both stability and strength. Virtually free of any core voids, high quality core veneers, and Phenolic resin reduces the chance for the panel to delaminate.​

If Teak&Holly was desired the material would easily take a veneer.

Oct 26, 2008
Catalina 320 Barnegat, NJ
I'm a little confused by that void in the picture that doesn't show any support for a replacement panel. Was there a rim that has been removed (and you have it ready to insert)? Or will you need to build a recessed platform for the panel? Or does the fiberglass hull provide the support?

Jan 7, 2011
I'm a little confused by that void in the picture that doesn't show any support for a replacement panel. Was there a rim that has been removed (and you have it ready to insert)? Or will you need to build a recessed platform for the panel? Or does the fiberglass hull provide the support?
Good eye Scott. Also, not how that one doesn’t have a border of smooth glass around it….I wonder if someone cut that out for some reason.

Greg