1984 c25 sits bow down

Aug 10, 2020
Catalina C25 3559 Rocky Mount
My c25 sits maybe 4" off her boot stripe, almost at the water at the bow, but the stern is above the water by an inch or two. It always looks like she has water in the bow at the dock. Is this common on these boats? It seems to affect my ability to rake the mast back without nearly maxing our my turnbuckles. Boat is nearly empty. Maybe 100lbs of gear, tools etc , most of which is aft of the keel. Battery is in the original location under starboard seat of cabin. Tools stowed same spot on port side, collection of headsails are in the aft berth. Nothing stored in the v berth other than a life jackets.

Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
Because fresh water is less dense than saltwater, boats usually sit lower in freshwater than salt. This is likely part of the issue.

capta

Jun 4, 2009
Pearson 530 Admiralty Bay, Bequia SVG
Do you have your anchor and rode stowed forward? Is there a water tank under the V-berth? Are the V-berth cushions wet? Has anything been added forward, above or below decks, that might not be original to the boat?
It could be possible a PO painted the waterline wrong.

Aug 10, 2020
Do you have your anchor and rode stowed forward? Is there a water tank under the V-berth? Are the V-berth cushions wet? Has anything been added forward, above or below decks, that might not be original to the boat?
It could be possible a PO painted the waterline wrong.
No to all of the above. The waterline/boot stripe is factory gelcoat

Aug 10, 2020
Because fresh water is less dense than saltwater, boats usually sit lower in freshwater than salt. This is likely part of the issue.
That's an interesting thought. I hadn't considered that at all

Mar 2, 2019
Oday 25 Milwaukee
I don't believe the rake of the mast has anything to do with the water line .
I'd look long and hard under the storage lockers for hidden weight . The freshwater /salt water shouldn't affect whether the boat sits bow heavy or not .
Does the boat sit level side to side ?

Oct 29, 2012
Catalina 30 TRBS MkII Milwaukee
My c25 sits maybe 4" off her boot stripe, almost at the water at the bow, but the stern is above the water by an inch or two. It always looks like she has water in the bow at the dock. Is this common on these boats? It seems to affect my ability to rake the mast back without nearly maxing our my turnbuckles. Boat is nearly empty. Maybe 100lbs of gear, tools etc , most of which is aft of the keel. Battery is in the original location under starboard seat of cabin. Tools stowed same spot on port side, collection of headsails are in the aft berth. Nothing stored in the v berth other than a life jackets.
Do you have any pictures you can post?
How does it sail? Does it point up nicely?
Not sure what exactly you're referring to, racking the mast back? How long have you had the boat?

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
Sorry I forgot this link for you in my earlier post. You should get to know these guys, they're experts on YOUR specific boat. Some boat questions are applicable to many different boats and/or models, i.e., electrical, where some questions are boat specific, like yours. Almost all Catalinas have active owners associations and websites. I used to own 1981 #4951 SRFK, 11 years on SF Bay, great boat.

Apr 24, 2005
Catalina 270 Lake Guntersville
My previous boat was a C-25. It sat vrey slightly bow up because of the outboard (Honda 50). Bow down trim is definately not normal for these boats.

Does rainwater collect in the cockpit sole or does it drain through the two transome drains? On my boat some rainwater would collect in the shallow trough just forward of the transom.

Whether mast rake is affected by fore-aft trim depende on how you measure rake. If you put a small weight on the main halyard, let it hang from the masthead and measure the distance form the back of the mast to the small weight it will definately be affected by fore-aft trim.

Bill

Mar 6, 2008
Catalina 1999 C36 MKII #1787 Coyote Point Marina, CA.
Bill, Honda 50 is too big and heavy for c25. 10 horsepower is all that is needed.

Aug 10, 2020
My previous boat was a C-25. It sat vrey slightly bow up because of the outboard (Honda 50). Bow down trim is definately not normal for these boats.

Does rainwater collect in the cockpit sole or does it drain through the two transome drains? On my boat some rainwater would collect in the shallow trough just forward of the transom.

Whether mast rake is affected by fore-aft trim depende on how you measure rake. If you put a small weight on the main halyard, let it hang from the masthead and measure the distance form the back of the mast to the small weight it will definately be affected by fore-aft trim.

Bill
That's how I measure my rake. Rain collects in my cockpit, not deep, but it doesn't 100% drain out. It will gather a quarter inch or so, usually along the sides as the sole tends to bow up slightly to the middle. If I stand on the starboard lazerette, it drains right out.

For reference, the little bit of fin/keel that runs aft of the keel, and in front of the rudder, is only in the water about and inch.

I did the bottom myself and followed the original boot stripe.

The whole goal was to get her to round up into the wind a but better. Setting rake lead to me noticing the bow seeming to be down.

Oct 26, 2008
Catalina 320 Barnegat, NJ
It would be interesting to put a 4' level running fore / aft on the cabin sole to see if there is a trend. While the sole can't be assumed or expected to be perfectly level .... and obviously it can be affected by weight placement, I would guess that the boat was designed so that the sole is level. I've never done it on my Cat 320, but I do remember that my Starwind 27 was level on calm water. I also measured level when the level was placed on the companionway hood.

Aug 10, 2020
It would be interesting to put a 4' level running fore / aft on the cabin sole to see if there is a trend. While the sole can't be assumed or expected to be perfectly level .... and obviously it can be affected by weight placement, I would guess that the boat was designed so that the sole is level. I've never done it on my Cat 320, but I do remember that my Starwind 27 was level on calm water. I also measured level when the level was placed on the companionway hood.
I have not put a level on it, but rain seems to pool a bit vs running aft and out the cockpit drains.

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
My first thought is saturated foam under the V-berth. Since your boat is
Boat is nearly empty. Maybe 100lbs of gear, tools etc , most of which is aft of the keel.
This may also have an effect if there is missing equipment aboard. However, I wouldn't expect it to be a difference of 4"

A boat can sit a little different in freshwater than in saltwater. A boat will sit a little deeper in freshwater. This might make the bow dip because the bow's dead rise is steeper then in the stern. More buoyancy is gained aft for every submerged inch than forward. But, again, 4" of difference seems like a lot.

Is there access to inside the V-berth? A lot of boats under 30' have foam filling that space and over decades, the foam can get waterlogged from small leaks, rain, gaps in the hull/deck seam, old bedding of foredeck hardware, chain lockers, etc.

-Will

Jan 19, 2010
Catalina 34 Casco Bay
Time for science.. If you can counterweight the boat to an even keel, that will give you the best starting point to determine the cause. Knowing how much weight out of balance should help you.

Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
Speaking of science, remember leverage. The further the weight is from the center of gravity the more effect it will have on the trim. Heavy stuff belongs in the center of the boat, typically just behind the mast with lighter stuff at the ends.

After loading Second Star with solar panels, an 80 lb life raft, a 60 lb outboard, a full 40 gallon fuel tank, and a quarter berth loaded with spare parts and supplies, the stern sat quite low in the water. The bow sat at its normal level. The outboard and the life raft sat aft of the waterline, forcing the stern down even more.

1699878875519.png

1699878889298.png

Aug 10, 2020
My first thought is saturated foam under the V-berth. Since your boat is

This may also have an effect if there is missing equipment aboard. However, I wouldn't expect it to be a difference of 4"

A boat can sit a little different in freshwater than in saltwater. A boat will sit a little deeper in freshwater. This might make the bow dip because the bow's dead rise is steeper then in the stern. More buoyancy is gained aft for every submerged inch than forward. But, again, 4" of difference seems like a lot.

Is there access to inside the V-berth? A lot of boats under 30' have foam filling that space and over decades, the foam can get waterlogged from small leaks, rain, gaps in the hull/deck seam, old bedding of foredeck hardware, chain lockers, etc.

-Will
No foam in the boat, no standing water. Both waste and water tanks are empty. 15lb anchor and 150 feet of rode in the locker. Small tool box (12lbs?) Under the dinette on port side. Battery on starboard. 8.0 mariner hanging on the bracket. Currently all sails stowed in quarter berth, with main on the boom.

I've been trying to get a good picture, but that can't happen at the dock as the waterline is obscured by the dock.

After messing with the rig tuning a bit, she sails well enough.

I was considering witching the keel up to see if that changes how she sits Nothing seems out of place, wet or otherwise heavy. Her stern is just a bit high. It seems more asthetic than anything. Maybe the boot stripe has been off for 40 years...