1983 o'day 34 prepurchase questions...

Jun 18, 2023
catalina 30 urbanna
Hi, I was sent here from cruisersforum for o'day specific info and it seems like you guys do have a lot of it. I'm in the initial stages of purchasing a 34 - just spent a couple hours poking around it today and am doing some research to see what sort of stuff I'm facing before I make an offer. I have a couple of questions I'm hoping you folks can answer...

It's the 'deep' keel and there's a definitive seam showing the joint. The boat is on the hard and there's no streaking showing tho there is some generalized patchy rust showing thru the almost disintegrated bottom paint. The keel bolts look pretty good - a light patina of rust but not that crusty stuff of real corrosion; more discoloration. Current owner has never adjusted them and hauls it yearly for winterizing and reports no movement during that process. That said, as I was searching around here I found this post - Opinion on Keel Crack - and am wondering if I should prioritize dropping the keel to get a good look and smoosh in some fresh 5200. Ideas or recommendations?

The shallow chain locker is kind of odd and I'm wondering how you guys have dealt with it. My initial thoughts are to eventually cut into the deeper section that exists in the V berth that other boats (like my old Catalina) would've already used for the anchor locker, glass it up, reinforce it and (hopefully) put in a windlass. Any known issues with this plan?

I think I'll need new sails sooner than later. Are there standard sizes out there that can be purchased for the 34? I know a lot of Catalina models have 'generic, standard' sails that can be ordered for some models, but they obviously made a buttload of those boats.

Finally, can I have a recommendation for an autopilot?

Thanks for any info,
Joe

Last edited:
Jan 7, 2011
Oday 322 East Chicago, IN
It would help to see a photo of the keel joint. But my 2 cents…

Most boats with bolted on keels will have a seam and crack at the joint (my own O’Day 322 included).

You can drop the keel if it makes you feel better, but it is a fair amount of expense and work. I wouldn’t do it unless there are signs that something bad is looming.

What do the keel bolts look like?
Are you in fresh water or salt water?
How bad is the crack in the joint?
How old is the boat?

On my 1988 O’Day 322, in fresh water, I check the keel bolts every spring before I launch, I have ground out an area of the sealant at the joint, and found it tight and well-sealed, and so far (8 years of ownership), I haven’t felt the need to drop the keel.

But certainly if you think something is amiss, or it makes you feel more comfortable, drop it and know your boat is solid. I have seen photos of keel bolts that were exposed to salt water that had thinned down a lot (even though the part sticking up into the bilge looked good). Not sure if they were stainless or not, but that looked like a scary situation.

Good luck with your purchase!

Greg

dmax

Jul 29, 2018
O'Day 35 Buzzards Bay
Agree with Greg, unless you have reason to suspect the bolts have deteriorated or the adhesive has failed, I wouldn't drop the keel, it is a big job. Gouge out as much of seam as you can and fill with 5200. But first, you should remove all of the keel nuts, clean up and inspect the bolts and re-torque. If the bolts look ok and the keel is solidly attached you shouldn't have to drop the keel.

dmax

Jul 29, 2018
O'Day 35 Buzzards Bay
Oh yeah, the anchor locker is shallow - it can fit a danforth style anchor and rode. I have a Manson on the bow roller, plenty of room for the rode.

Jan 7, 2011
Oday 322 East Chicago, IN
My anchor locker is more like an anchor “tray”. But I have 30 feet of chain and 200 feet of rode in mine. My old plow style anchor stays on the anchor roller all of the time, as you can see in the photo.

IMG_9576_Original.jpeg

Here are the sockets I had made to tighten the keel bolts…

IMG_0392_Original.jpeg IMG_1058_Original.jpeg

Do you know if the hull on the O34 is solid glass? I thought the O39 was cored…or maybe it was the 40’.

If cored, you want to make sure it is solid around any holes in the hull.

Greg

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Welcome @soopad00pa to the SBO forum.

KEEL / Anchor Locker / Sails.

Greg and dmax nailed the thoughts on the KEEL.

Anchor Locker... Yes it is likely small. That would be a lot of work to redesign the space. I think you address anchor space/system based on the waters you plan to sail/cruise. The Chesapeake is a shallow body of water. 300ft of chain and rode are wasted weight in the bow. Now if your going to be anchoring regularly in waters 35-50 feet, you need that extra length. Get out and use your potential new boat before you let the Anchor Locker idea be a priority.

SAILS...
Best investment you can make on a boat. I would recommend using a loft that has experience and will measure your boat for the suit of sails, not just cookie cut sails. Owners, once they get the boat from the dealer, often modify their boat. Add a dodger or a bimini, and the boom will be too low. The sails designed in 1983 are now different and improved. You place the new design of sails on an 83 boat and it will just sail better than when it was showroom new.

Good luck and share images.

Jun 18, 2023
catalina 30 urbanna
Thanks for all the kind replies; much appreciated.

I'll post a couple of pics of keel related stuff and a short vid that I took to send my girl. I'm heartened to hear that things are likely to be just fine with the keel - there's enough other stuff to do that I'd love to avoid that if I can.

The anchor locker isn't a priority, but it is an oddity and I'll have to address it if I can get around to putting a Windlass on her. I spent 9mos sailing around the keys at anchor with no Windlass and it wasn't groovy.

Attachments

Arrgh

Oct 27, 2021
ODay 34 Bristol, RI
It's steel and yes, one of the former owners added that extra weight. I guess he thought is would be more stable...maybe

Jun 18, 2023
catalina 30 urbanna
Here's what my 34 keel looks like.
And you're not dead! OK, that looks pretty comparable to the boat I'm looking at.

2 questions - did you put 5200 (or something) in the seam before painting? How do you like your 34?

Arrgh

Oct 27, 2021
ODay 34 Bristol, RI
No...not dead haha and I haven't added any sealant in there. I'm not sure if any of the previous owners did anything, but the seam doesn't look too bad to me and it doesn't leak. So far I love it. I'm on my third season with it and it suits me perfectly. We're a family of five, so everybody has their own place to sleep.